building a budget gaming machine...

Arm_Pit

banned
If your going for cheaper, dont get DFI. They are nice motherboards, but nothing that is needed, and they kill on the price. I would get a cheaper motherboard and then get 2GB of ram instead,you'll enjoy it much if you play anything like BF2.

goosy22

yeah... but any cheaper mobo's have bad reviews... DFI is a reputable company... and it's the cheapest AM2 mobo that i found with good reviews... i guess i don't need AM2 but i want this to last a while...

rahving

Here's my take on your selections.

First off, that DFI mobo is not required, and you can easily cut cost by actually getting a solid, lower priced one. Next, your processor looks good, nice pick there IMO.

Lastly, that video card you picked would be about my last choice. It is definitely budget, because it isn't the greatest. I would go with either the Geforce 7600GS or 7600GT. You're looking at around $115 or $160 respectively. (after shipping and not including any rebates) They both are top cards for their price/performance ratio, without being too expensive.

If you can't afford either one, swap your current processor with a single core for a LOT cheaper and get either one or better. As it stands now, your processor is basically pointless for games with that 7300GS video card. Good luck.

goosy22

rahving said:
Here's my take on your selections.

First off, that DFI mobo is not required, and you can easily cut cost by actually getting a solid, lower priced one. Next, your processor looks good, nice pick there IMO.

Lastly, that video card you picked would be about my last choice. It is definitely budget, because it isn't the greatest. I would go with either the Geforce 7600GS or 7600GT. You're looking at around $115 or $160 respectively. (after shipping and not including any rebates) They both are top cards for their price/performance ratio, without being too expensive.

If you can't afford either one, swap your current processor with a single core for a LOT cheaper and get either one or better. As it stands now, your processor is basically pointless for games with that 7300GS video card. Good luck.

much appreciated... as for the processor, i'm sticking with that... i can upgrade video and such at a later date... and i'm not the hardcorest gamer out there (think starcraft and rollercoaster tycoon) but i like to keep some options open... and is AM2 worth it? or should i stick with 939? for the processors price it's worth it for me to go AM2, but the mobo and ram add money to the end...

PC eye

banned
The cpu is worth it! If you could go up a notch to the 4200+ X2. On making a fast choice for an essential but not "elaborate" video card the selection of the MSI X1300 Pro 256mb model has worked out well here for video captures/editing as well as gaming. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814127193

For an alternative to the DFI model board there you can look over the Asus model here. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131022
For a look at an MSI model for a lower price, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130049R

lethalforce

goosy22 said:
yeah... but any cheaper mobo's have bad reviews... DFI is a reputable company... and it's the cheapest AM2 mobo that i found with good reviews... i guess i don't need AM2 but i want this to last a while...
if you get a new AM2 processor down the line, its most likely you'll have to get a new motherboard with it, so don't let that hinder your budget

PC eye

banned
The three boards seen will run the AM2 model cpus as well as the AMD64s and FX models. You will find that Asus, MSI(especially video cards), and even Gigabyte find themselves with a higher standard then DFI and Abit and even more certainly some names like Asrock and Rosewill that are far lacking.