Building a computer but want to make sure parts will work together

cdyrssen

Ok People. I have built a computer once before but I was having a haRd time choosing parts that would work together and ended having somenone else choosing my parts. Now I'm going to try again and see if it works this time. So I have chosen the following parts with a $700 budget in mind. I broke that budget by about $30 but I think I will be happy with the result if this works out.

Motherboard - ASRock 890FX DELUXE3 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

GPU - GIGABYTE GV-R577UD-1GD Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6 MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

RAM - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK

Hard Drive - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Power Supply - COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS-500-PCAR-A3 500W ATX12V V2.3 Power Supply

Case - COOLER MASTER Elite RC-310-BWN1-GP Black Steel/Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

DVD Burner - ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

While choosing the parts I noticed that my motherboard supported SATA 6Gb/s hard drive, but I have chosen a SATA 3Gb/s hard drive. Will that work or will I have to choose a new hard drive? Any help, opinions, or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. My budget is around $700.

cdyrssen

Last edited:

mihir

VIP Member
Ok People. I have built a computer once before but I was having a haRd time choosing parts that would work together and ended having somenone else choosing my parts. Now I'm going to try again and see if it works this time. So I have chosen the following parts with a $700 budget in mind. I broke that budget by about $30 but I think I will be happy with the result if this works out.

Motherboard - ASRock 890FX DELUXE3 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

GPU - GIGABYTE GV-R577UD-1GD Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6 MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

RAM (x2) - Kingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model KVR1333R3/2GR

Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3750528AS 750GB 7200RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Power Supply - hec Raptor500 500WATX 12V V2.2 SLI Ready Passive PFC Power Supply

Case - ARK GL-09A Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

While choosing the parts I noticed that my motherboard supported SATA 6Gb/s hard drive, but I have chosen a SATA 3Gb/s hard drive. Will that work or will I have to choose a new hard drive? Any help, opinions, or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

cdyrssen
It will work
Go for a better PSU

StrangleHold

Staff member
Dont like the power supply or the case.

Power Supplies stick with PC Power&Coolling/Silverstone/Antec/BFG/OCZ/Corsair/XClio/

Cases, Antec/NZXT/Cooler Master

mihir

VIP Member

Power Supplies stick with PC Power&Coolling/Silverstone/Antec/BFG/OCZ/Corsair/XClio/

+1
Otherwise everything looks good :good:
Hard drive you can look for WD caviar Black
and RAM go for a high performance RAM:D

bomberboysk

Don't like the memory....stick with a good kit from a manufacturer such as G.skill/Mushkin/Corsair/A-Data/GeIL/etc, that kingston value ram is pretty poor stuff.

stutz2408

I would say psu would be the first thing I would change. I'd go for more around 700W or so. Also the Value RAM from Kingston is not that great. It has very little ability to be overclocked if any and doesn't have that great of performance stock. And to answer your last question yes you can still use that hard drive. When the motherboard says it supports 6Gb/s it means it can do any speed 6Gb/s and under.

mihir

VIP Member
I would say psu would be the first thing I would change. I'd go for more around 700W or so. Also the Value RAM from Kingston is not that great. It has very little ability to be overclocked if any and doesn't have that great of performance stock. And to answer your last question yes you can still use that hard drive. When the motherboard says it supports 6Gb/s it means it can do any speed 6Gb/s and under.

*cough* overkill

Aastii

VIP Member

You should add SOME Xclio in there. I agree, they make a few decent units (or more have them made for them), but most deteriorate very quickly compared to higher quality units, such as the ones you put in your list.

What is your overall budget for the full system?

I agree with the comments so far (except for need a 700+W PSU, 500+ will be plenty), however will also add if you can fit it in the budget, try to get a better motherboard too, ASRock are the lower end of the spectrum