Building a new computer, 98 to XP-32bit to 7-64bit, can it be done?

caliskier

Hi, I am building a new computer, I have a copy of windows 98 which I will load on first followed by a windows xp home edition upgrade that is 32 bit. I am wondering if I can go out and buy a windows 7 – 64bit upgrade and updrade the 32bit. I have searched this and see different answers, but they all have to do with someone that has an established computer, this will be a brand new computer. Is this possible?

caliskier

Just buy an OEM copy. It's cheaper than the upgrade, and you don't have to eat your XP key to do it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754

Thanks, this is probably the best way to go, so, once I put the PC together, is it pretty easy to plug it in, and load the OEM copy?

Also when loading an OEM, what does windows look at hardware wise to to marry to the PC?
For example, say in 3 years I decide to update the CPU and/or motherboard, will Windows consider that a new computer? What footprint is it looking at?

Drenlin

Wait...what? I thought this was a new system? Won't matter what the mobo is, you can install it on anything. It technically locks itself to that motherboard's make and model once you do, but you can usually just call up microsoft and tell them you changed motherboards on your computer and they'll let you put it on a new one.

wolfeking

banned
Yes, Mobo is the motherboard. Anything else in the computer can be changed and still be used. I know for sure that CPU's and Ram can be changed without effect to OEM windows XP. The Win. 7 should be the same. Just be sure that your board accepts your new processor, and your BIOS is set up for it.

caliskier

Thanks all, and yes it is a new system, I just wanted to make sure that if I upgrade, heavily, I can still use the same windows 7 disk.

Gareth

You can't upgrade Windows 32-bit to 64-bit. Your best workaround as acknowledged by Microsoft is to get a Windows 7 upgrade disk and install it without entering a product key, then re-installing Windows 7 as an upgrade entering your product key on the second time.

Drenlin

^ I already pointed out that an OEM disk is cheaper than an upgrade disk, and you don't have to cheat to install it.