Building a new system (all components purchased) Any good?

Pck21

Asus Barebones kit: (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2120037&Sku=A455-2116 A)

Asus A8N-SLI mobo
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ CPU (might upgrade after X-Mas to a 64 X2)
Maxtor 160 GB 7200rpm Sata HDD (will add a second 10k rpm hdd later)
Ultra X-infinity 500-watt power
Masscool AMD K8 Fan
Ultra PC3200 512 RAM (Upgrading to 1.5 GB RAM next month)
Asus Radeon X1600 PRO 512MB PCI express video card (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?Sku=A455-7118)

Is that going to be enough for a gaming rig to play BF2, WoW, and Doom 3?

Also I have XP Home edition and I saw that they had XP Pro edition x64 for 64 bit computing. I wanted to know if I could run that as my OS or if it's even worth it?

Is there anything else I'm missing? Thanks in advance!

Dave

suprasteve

that setup should be more than adequate for those games at probably any setting (bf2 may have to be mid, dunno for sure), don't bother getting 64 bit XP, it's a pain trying to find drivers for everything and there's little if any increase in computing power, as far as other things you need: cd/dvd drives, keyboard and mouse, monitor, speakers, maybe a floppy

Pck21

suprasteve said:
that setup should be more than adequate for those games at probably any setting (bf2 may have to be mid, dunno for sure), don't bother getting 64 bit XP, it's a pain trying to find drivers for everything and there's little if any increase in computing power, as far as other things you need: cd/dvd drives, keyboard and mouse, monitor, speakers, maybe a floppy

Ok great! I'm glad I got the setup I wanted. Yep I got the cd/dvd drive and burners, logitec wireless keyboard and mouse, speakers, and floppy. Right now I'm going to use an old monitor for a while until everything is COMPLETELY setup and running smoothly. I'm looking at a 19 in ViewSonic LCD for a monitor.

Thanks for all the help and input! It's much appreciated :)

Dave

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
you might have some trouble playing bf2 until you upgrade you ram next month, as its pretty ram intensive. I would just stick with home edition as there's really no advantages for x64 right now and you'll just have a harder time finding 64bit drivers.