Building a SILENT PC? Orange County, CA Residents interested in making a few bucks?

Dizzy714

So long story short my tech buddy of years who's always handled everything PC build/internal fix related has separated from me, sad day.

I recently bought a Dell XPS computer at Best Buy for around $800 I believe it was for a parent since their old computer finally died out. Well one thing that absolutely caught my attention was just how damn silent it was, you can't hear the thing at all until you begin loading intensive applications and every once in a while the thing will crank up and whatnot. But just browsing around and doing less heavy applications the thing is silent as can be, Apple Macbook silent.

Currently I have an i7 rig loaded on an EVGA X58 FTW3 mobo, Cooler Master GT heat sink, fanless GPU for no noise, boxed into a Raven RV03 case. This thing is loud. Even when turning the fan speeds lower it's still not even remotely close to something silent. The only way I can get the thing to shut up is literally by disconnecting all of the fans, then that gets it just about silent - minus the CM heat sink, that's not as quiet as I thought it was supposed to be back when reading about it and then buying it.

My needs: Well it's about time I take the plunge on upgrading my PC anyways. And I need something as silent as that Dell because I do studio recordings in this room. I bought a Macbook Pro last year as my upgrade for silence, but the lack of extra functionality that a full rig provides you caused me to sell it off and get rid of it - ontop of that being my first ever Mac experience, I'd rather just be back on a Windows OS.

So I need something powerful to handle recording, mixing, and also video editing. I don't game anymore on my rig, but I don't want to do any hardware cutbacks in the case I do decide to get back into gaming on the rig so that all I'd need to do is go buy another high end GPU, pop it in and bam.

But again, most importantly I need this thing dead silent. It would be nice to have the option to crank up the volume in speeds at the flick of a switch for when I'm in mixdown and editing mode for the heavier processes. But when recording, the low power mode switch engaged, dead silent.

Is this possible? I have to imagine so as that Dell is absolutely nothing special, all fans, no SSD, no water cool'd or fanless heat sink, it's just your basic normal computer but dead silent!

How much am I looking at as far as the build goes? Starting from scratch and not re-using any equipment?

Then we can discuss labor costs for anybody potentially interested in doing this for me privately.

Email is [email protected] if you'd like to contact me on there. Here is fine, PM is fine, or that email is fine.

Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited:

Dizzy714

If the case fan causing the problem, change them to quiet case fan. Or change the case

Is there any bigger cases that include the premium fans that are the most silent right off the bat? Have to admit I've gotten used to the back of the mobo placed on top, but I'm sure that really limits my case options if that was a necessity.

But again, I am due for a PC upgrade.

Cisco001

I knew quite a few reasonably priced case are relatively quiet, they are mid-atx tower.

Have a look at Nanoxia Deep Silence 2, Corsair 330R, Fractal Design Define R4

Last edited: