Building Budget Gaming Computer

PCunicorn

You don't have to have crossfire or SLI to run a single GPU. If you want to run two, well you're screwed on that board but generally you will just buy a new GPU before SLI or Crorssfireing.

Last edited:
Yeah, the whole point of that particular Mobo is being able to Crossfire when I have more money.

According to NCIX.ca from them to New York at 9.9 lbs (the weight of my package) it's about 50-70 dollars. It really depends where it's coming from.

PCunicorn

Its much better to have a single GPU. A 660 will be plenty for a couple years. I would recommend spending a little more then the budget allows for the 660. Crossfire can be a PITA and CFX 260Xs aren't gonna be very good.

If I can save some money buying local I will (waiting on replies from kijiji) but otherwise the budget won't wiggle that much :(

PCunicorn

In that case, pass in a GPU altogether. Get a A10 7850K (which actually has a iGPU that's better then a GT 630 which is enough to play BF4 and modern games on low) and when you have the cash, buy somthing like a 760. Then, you'll have a better CPU and GPU, it'll just take a few months longer or however long it will take for you to afford a GPU.

So after taking into account things people have suggested and researching, this is what I've settled on:

CPU AMD A6-5400K APU Dual Core Processor Socket FM2 3.6GHZ 1MB 65W

Mobo ASRock FM2A75M-HD+ Micro ATX FM2+ Dual Channel 1XPCIE3X16 1XPCIE2X1 1XPCI 6XSATA3 USB3.0

RAM Kingston HyperX KHX1866C9D3K2/4GX 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1866 CL9 DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit

I definitely like the idea of iGPU and being able to cross it with a GPU without needing the hard-to-find Mobo. Plus, it's a cheaper build than the original and the iGPU will easily outperform my current rig. I can upgrade the CPU later, attach more RAM, get a better PSU (getting a cheap one from Kijiji) etc.

So, does this look like a decent rig until I get a better job? Thanks for everyone's help :)