Bulldozer

ScottALot

Bulldozer's been quite a flop considering how hard they been pimping it, AMD is already dropping the prices.

Yeah... sad day. I still think they deserve credit for coming up with the idea for dual-core modules in CPUs, that was a really ingenious idea. I think the problems with Bulldozer are due to some poor hardware optimization, not purely a lack of performance potential.

Perkomate

talking 'bout the patches or drives bigfanboy

Too late. The damage has already been done. Most consumers who care about this sort of stuff have seen the bencehs, and made their descision not to go with AMD. Patches and updates will not change concieved notions. End of.

Aastii

VIP Member
Too late. The damage has already been done. Most consumers who care about this sort of stuff have seen the bencehs, and made their descision not to go with AMD. Patches and updates will not change concieved notions. End of.

Looks at Fermi

Looks at original Intel 6 series chipset

Looks at AMD Phenom CPU's

hmm, yea, people won't understand that things can be updated and fixed :rolleyes:

The only people that know about Bulldozer are enthusiasts and they will keep up to date with technology. If this miracle BIOS update and Windows 8 (at release, don't go basing everything on a beta...) really does boost performance considerably then people will know and will see Bulldozer as the better option performance wise

Last edited:

Perkomate

Looks at Fermi

Looks at original Intel 6 series chipset

Looks at AMD Phenom CPU's

hmm, yea, people won't understand that things can be updated and fixed :rolleyes:

The only people that know about Bulldozer are enthusiasts and they will keep up to date with technology. If this miracle BIOS update and Windows 8 (at release, don't go basing everything on a beta...) really does boost performance considerably then people will know and will see Bulldozer as the better option performance wise

More related to the thread

http://thefrogman.me/post/11613923536

actually, i did make a boo-boo. What I meant is that it's gonna take a lot of an increase to win back public opinion.

jonnyp11

really the public has no clue and will just say what's the best deal and buy it, if they see 8 cores they think sick and buy. ask around random people and they would take a 8150 over a 25 or 2600k without a thought.

Troncoso

VIP Member
really the public has no clue and will just say what's the best deal and buy it, if they see 8 cores they think sick and buy. ask around random people and they would take a 8150 over a 25 or 2600k without a thought.

False. A majority will choose anything made by Intel because that's the only name they've heard.

Working at Best Buy, 90% of people who walk in, prefer an "Intel". When asked why not AMD, they just say "I've never heard of them"

2048Megabytes

At least AMD still has Socket FM1 if Socket AM3+ turns out to be a flop. The numbers on the AMD A8-3850 Llano (2.9 gigahertz) Quad-Core Processor beat all the Phenom II processors I do believe.

Edit: The AMD A8-3850 beats all the Phenom II Quad-Core processors.

Last edited:

mihir

VIP Member
False. A majority will choose anything made by Intel because that's the only name they've heard.

Working at Best Buy, 90% of people who walk in, prefer an "Intel". When asked why not AMD, they just say "I've never heard of them"

I second that.
Majority of the people who ask me what computer they should go for, prefer Intel or Nvidia.
And they think of AMD just as a newbie company or second rate company.

Aastii

VIP Member
actually, i did make a boo-boo. What I meant is that it's gonna take a lot of an increase to win back public opinion.

Not at all, it will take an increase enough to make it more powerful than the 2500 and 2600k, and what do you know, you have yourself a new top chip that is priced very nicely.

I second that.
Majority of the people who ask me what computer they should go for, prefer Intel or Nvidia.
And they think of AMD just as a newbie company or second rate company.

I always educate my customers or people I advise that AMD is just as credible both in the CPU and video card market and a lot of the time where AMD would be the better choice for one, the other or both, they will go down that route

mihir

VIP Member
I always educate my customers or people I advise that AMD is just as credible both in the CPU and video card market and a lot of the time where AMD would be the better choice for one, the other or both, they will go down that route

Same here(except I have friends instead of customers), they also have weird theories like since apple uses intel and an xyz brand used amd that makes apple better than xyz .Haha.

2048Megabytes

I have been sold on AMD ever since 2003 about. I bought a system with an AMD Athlon XP single-core processor and I loved it. It was a great upgrade over the Intel 700 megahertz processor we previously owned.

Troncoso

VIP Member
Not at all, it will take an increase enough to make it more powerful than the 2500 and 2600k, and what do you know, you have yourself a new top chip that is priced very nicely.

I try, but there are a lot of stubborn people in the world. Like, No matter how hard I try, I can't convince some people that Lenovo is a good brand until I associate them with IBM.

Then there are the people who have their "tech guys" tell them what to buy. A lot of them say not to buy AMD...makes me wonder how qualified these guys are.

Oh oh, and my favorite "No way I'm getting AMD again. I got a AMD one time and it didn't work good"

jonnyp11

sometimes i just hate people when they're like that, when i talk to someone like that i just end up walking away before i get really pissed since they refuse to believe anything new

I try, but there are a lot of stubborn people in the world. Like, No matter how hard I try, I can't convince some people that Lenovo is a good brand until I associate them with IBM.

Then there are the people who have their "tech guys" tell them what to buy. A lot of them say not to buy AMD...makes me wonder how qualified these guys are.

Oh oh, and my favorite "No way I'm getting AMD again. I got a AMD one time and it didn't work good"
I have had 3 AMD processors and just went Intel. Never will I do AMD again. My Asus g53 laptop is Intel and I am now running a 2500k. Have not had ONE blue screen or any failure yet with the Intel chips. Every one of my AMD setups would blue screen every few days no matter what I did.

I am not very happy with my crossfire setup either. Drivers are garbage. I have a friend running SLI 580s and he has zero issues. Driver issues were a problem with my 5870 also.

Troncoso

VIP Member
I have had 3 AMD processors and just went Intel. Never will I do AMD again. My Asus g53 laptop is Intel and I am now running a 2500k. Have not had ONE blue screen or any failure yet with the Intel chips. Every one of my AMD setups would blue screen every few days no matter what I did.

I am not very happy with my crossfire setup either. Drivers are garbage. I have a friend running SLI 580s and he has zero issues. Driver issues were a problem with my 5870 also.

What did you have your AMD CPU's in? AMD is just as reliable as Intel, it's rarely the processor that's even the issue whenever you have problems.