Buying high quality ethernal cords?

Charr

I have been having slight latency issues connecting to a server in the US (I'm from canada), I have great internet but use cheap dollar store network cables.

I would usually never buy expensive high quality cables, because well they normally do nothing to improve performance.

Would buying high quality network cables improve performance at all over regular, cheap walmart ones?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
What sources of interference do you have around your computer and where the ethernet cable passes? It could be since it's cheap that it's unshielded. Look into shielded cat5e and cat6 cables to replace it with.

Charr

What sources of interference do you have around your computer and where the ethernet cable passes? It could be since it's cheap that it's unshielded. Look into shielded cat5e and cat6 cables to replace it with.

Just as a follow up, I decided to buy a cat 6 from Best Buy. Its a nice sturdy cord but after doing some tests on speedtest its hard to tell if it improved anything. After doing using both my old cable and my new cable twice each I gained roughly 1mbps more with the new cable, but again its hard to tell if it was a real improvement BECAUSE of the cable itself or just the test itself giving mixed results.

Either way, I don't regret the purchase, I'll be using this cable for years to come. :)

tremmor

agreed. i ran all cat6 in the basement resently.
You could upgrade to higher speed like i did but would save
the money and let it go. Im not a gamer.