Can anyone help me?

munkyeetr

Do you just want to clear your hard drive so there's nothing on it? Do you want to use it again, or is it being thrown out?

J_D

I take it when you refer to memory and hard drive you mean the same thing considering your memory (RAM) is wiped when power is cut to it. So you want to wipe all data off your storage device or hard drive?. Well this can be done with any OS install disc as far as I am aware. Or if your concerned about security of your data still being recoverable then this may be of use http://www.killdisk.com/ I've never used it but, but its designed to do low level formats and multiple times I think for the paranoid.

StrangleHold

Staff member
To do a Clean install you will need your OS CD/DVD, unless its a OEM computer with a Recovery Partition

Last edited:

J_D

Yes i want to use it again. Is there any way i can do it myself on the computer withought any software

I still don't understand, you have to use some software to format a hard drive, it is not a manual operation you can do by hand! Unless you wish to take a hammer to your drive.

You can format a hard drive or partition in windows, find the drive in "My computer" and right click on it and click format. However you can not do this to your system drive. So if you only have one drive (I.e your C drive) you can't do this and any format will have to be done outside of your operating system. Either by using your Operating install disc, if your machine was bought from a company (i.e you didn't build it yourself) then you may have been given a disc to restore your computer to "factory settings", this is a manufacturers way of allowing people to reformat there machines with out giving there customers the original operating install disc.

J_D

Yes that should be it. Make a back-up of all your data you want to keep, then put the disc in and depending on how it works, reboot with the disc still in drive and the recovery software should kick in.