Can I add extra speakers??

UltraDude

banned
Hi guys Well I have a logitech Z-2300 speakers. Its got a subwoofer and 2 satallite speakers which fit into a left and right port at the back. More info about it:

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2004/11/11/logitech_z/

anyway I was wondering if there was anyway to add more speakers through an adaptor or something. The speakers themselves are fantastic and I was wanting to try a surrond sound set up for them. Is there any way or am I stuck with the basic set up??

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Technically, yes you can. However, if you want surround sound, you will need a supporting sound card. But any soundcard, you can buy a splitter cable(one headphone jack to two) and simply connect two sets of speakers up.

Just realize, the speakers need to be amplified

bball4life

Well if you really wanted to you should be able to buy like 3 2.1 set ups and hook them up into your sound card appropriately, it should give you a 6.3 setup, not completly sure, but you can just "add" speakers to get surround sound.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
As I mentioned, you can't add speakers and get surround sound without a capable sound card. But my stereo has 2 speakers on each channel(IE two on left, two on right, and two subs) It just sounds better than 5.1 :p

PC eye

banned
If you use "Y" plugs you could double by adding a second set of the model you are currently using. That would give you a front and rear set. At a desktop however you would want a mixer to balance the front and rear as well as the left and right. Each set has it's own amplifier included already. A mixer would be plugged into the card directly with the speakers plugged into that with the Y plugs that way.

The problem with this type of setup is the increased draw that can be placed on the sound card itself for signal. But the thing that you are sure to not hear is surround sound. You would have more sound but not "separation".

UltraDude

banned
hmmm

well my sound card would hack an increase, and the speakers are at 200 watts and the sub woofer at 400.

But your all right, the sound definatly wouldnt be a typical surrond set up, It would just add another direction the sound is coming from.

PC eye

banned
The Logitech Z-640 5.1 Surround sound speakers used here can be seen at http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/audio-output/logitech-z-640/ These have an on/off button for the center mix along with the center having volume and balance controls right on your desk with the woofer underneath. Of course you still have to position them around and then calibrate them with the sound card's software for front, rear, and center.