Can I crossfire 2 different brands of cards?

armysgt1

I have an xfx 6950 with 2gb of memory. Can I crossfire it with a cheaper one with only 1gb of memory? Or how does that work? Will it total 3 gb of memory? I'm asking this because I still have time to return this one and get a cheaper one that has maybe 1gb of memory because I want to buy another 6950. I will be using 3 monitors for eyefinity once i can afford it. If anyone can help i would greatly appreciate it.

Aastii

VIP Member
You will be able to use them together and they will work no problem. As for the memory thing, I am not certain, but assume both cards would only be 1GB, for a total of 2GB memory, which is plenty for eyefinity, even with 3 full HD monitors

Last edited:

Leopold Butters

You will be able to use them together and they will work no problem. As for the memory, thing, I am not certain, but assume both cards would only be 1GB, for a total of 2GB memory, which is plenty for eyefinity, even with 3 full HD monitors

More is better for eyefinity. My 5970 only has 1 GB on each GPU, 2 for each would be much better for my eyefinity setup. I'd go for another 6950 with 2GB. Like stated above you do not get all 3 GB, only 2.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
yes it will work, but you'll lose that extra GB on the 2GB card. and having 1x 1gb card and a 2gb card in crossfire would mean your total graphics memory will only be 1GB....they do not add up together to make 3Gb...the same with if you had 2x 1gb cards in crossfire,your total memory would only still be 1Gb.
If you had 2x 2gb 6950 your total would be 2Gb.

For an Eyefinity setup i would recommend you stick with your 2gb model and get another.

Last edited: