Can I Get Two

calumn

Okay I have a few questions.

My desktop computers has a 1tb hard drive and runs win7, I want to back up about 200 or 300gb of files from this hard drive and then reinstall windows because the computer is on its last legs.

I have an old hard drive in an old desktop computer (which isn't in use) which should be big enough to use for the backups, I think the drive is 320 or 500gb.

Now, would I be able to take the hard drive out of the old computer and put it in the new one alongside the current hard drive, so I can just move the files over?

I know I would probably need to get drivers beforehand, but does this sound like it will work? I will check the spec of the other hard drive, but the other computer is about 4 or 5 years old so it is not an ancient hard drive.

Do most desktop computers come with enough space and cables inside to hook up two drives? Is it difficult? (I am not bad at computers, I have added RAM before and changed a processor I know my way around a computer).

joh06937

what motherboard do you have now? do you know if your current hard drive is sata? what interface is the old hard drive (the one you want to add)? if you don't know, look on the back of the hard drive. if it is sata, there will be some small plastic bars going across the back of the hdd:
SATA%20HDD.jpg

if it is ide, thee will be a bunch of pins:
6L200P0-R-2.jpg

check the 1tb hard drive as well and post the model of your motherboard.

calumn

Ok I checked both PCs.

Old computer has an ASUS P5B-TMX motherboard and a 250GB SATA Hard Drive with a 16Mb buffer.

New computer specs:

2.35 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad Q6600
Board: 4Core1600P35-WiFi

joh06937

as long as your power supply has a sata plug and as long as you have a sata cable, you should be good to go. you don't need to install drivers ahead of time. windows 7 should automatically install everything for you ;)

make sure you power down before hooking it up though.

MMM

Okay I have a few questions.

My desktop computers has a 1tb hard drive and runs win7, I want to back up about 200 or 300gb of files from this hard drive and then reinstall windows because the computer is on its last legs.

I have an old hard drive in an old desktop computer (which isn't in use) which should be big enough to use for the backups, I think the drive is 320 or 500gb.

Now, would I be able to take the hard drive out of the old computer and put it in the new one alongside the current hard drive, so I can just move the files over?

I know I would probably need to get drivers beforehand, but does this sound like it will work? I will check the spec of the other hard drive, but the other computer is about 4 or 5 years old so it is not an ancient hard drive.

Do most desktop computers come with enough space and cables inside to hook up two drives? Is it difficult? (I am not bad at computers, I have added RAM before and changed a processor I know my way around a computer).
Should work, give it a try just set up master and slave or cable select... get your bios to detect and off you go.