can i get wireless via modem n router?

skullysmagic

hi i am connected to the net via bt modem, and trying to use my router to get wireless connection upstairs ( as my router wont connect to my line for some strange reason ), i have set it all up done a new wan connection for this it all works fine i can connect from upstairs from the wireless card and it says connection activated but wont let me open web page,keeps saying page cannot be displayed!, i know the wireless card is set up okay as i can connect through a avalible unsecure connection!, any ideas how i can set this up?, thanks

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Can you access the router's setup page? Typically something like 192.168.1.1. I'm wondering if you have some sort of DNS problem, or some other minor incorrect setting in your ISP configuration. SOmetimes everything isn't passed along through DHCP(both on the router's WAN settings and your wifi card...)

skullysmagic

Can you access the router's setup page? Typically something like 192.168.1.1. I'm wondering if you have some sort of DNS problem, or some other minor incorrect setting in your ISP configuration. SOmetimes everything isn't passed along through DHCP(both on the router's WAN settings and your wifi card...)

yes i can accesss the router set up, have configured that but not sure it may have a slight ajustment, my mate is going to have a look later for me, if you come up with anything could you let me know thanks

ayns

u need to make as that one to a private network through public network, if u connect with any internet provider they give one static ip that ip, u use as DNS and alternate DNS, and in the ip field u put the ip what is the private ip used in router the same ip

Viking

click start
click run
type cmd
hit enter
type ping yahoo.com
hit enter
what was the results

also with the comand prompt open
type ipconfig/all
see what your ip and gateway are