Can I hook up my computer to my hd tv?

Wired

Im buying a 65 inch hd rear projection tv. im wondering if i can hook a computer into and get decent graphics for gaming. if so what card would i need, im assuming the bigger the better for such a large tv

Wired

The reason i ask, I'm concerned that i might burn out my card or power supply. this would be my second build but i'm a novice at best. Would an 8800 ultra get decent graphics without burning itself out? or is this even possible?

daisymtc

What is your budget?

I suggest getting ATI 4870x2 ($550) instead if you have money...
Hooking to Big screen means your vid card need more VRam...

What you mean by "burn out my card or power supply"? I don't get it...

Last edited:

ETSA

Almost all modern high end graphics cards are made knowing they will be abused for hours, the resolution for a projector would be comparable to a large screen t.v. if not the same if it high def. Proper screen or paint for the projector may be more of a deciding factor for a projector looking good. A bright bulb also, as far as an 8800 ultra, I would agree with the 4870 or 4870 x2 for the higher side of high end. I think it would look great, ensure you have proper power from your PSU, power recommendations can be found on manufacturers websites.

Wired

Thanks, I ordered the 4870x2 2 gig card with a q6600 quad core. lets see how it does and it comes with the dvi to hdmi cable already=sweet! im so excited.

Wired

Almost all modern high end graphics cards are made knowing they will be abused for hours, the resolution for a projector would be comparable to a large screen t.v. if not the same if it high def. Proper screen or paint for the projector may be more of a deciding factor for a projector looking good. A bright bulb also, as far as an 8800 ultra, I would agree with the 4870 or 4870 x2 for the higher side of high end. I think it would look great, ensure you have proper power from your PSU, power recommendations can be found on manufacturers websites.

by the way its a dlp rear projection, not a projector with a pull down screen or what not :p

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Hm, beware of motion sickness ;). Anyways, there shouldn't really be a problem. Just make sure you crank up the resolution and connect via hdmi.