Can i put a VR card in this Dell?

Budule

My boy wants to try VR , I did the test and my GTX645 was not up to par , I have heard Dells ae locked or hard to upgrade so I thought I would ask before I drop 3 hundred or more on a card.....heres what I got ...
XPS 8700
4th Generation Intel(R) Core ( TM) i7-4770 processor (8M Cach e, up to 3.9 GHz)"
12GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz (4GBx2 + 2GBx2)

but not sure how to know if a 970 will work or not....

Darren

Staff member
Two problems you're likely to run in to.

1. Not enough room in the case.
2. Built in power supply isn't capable of providing enough power for the 970.

You're probably looking at a power supply upgrade as well if you're wanting a 970.

Darren

Staff member
Assuming you can get to the computer in question open up the side panel of the case (with it off of course) and measure how much length you have to work with where the GPU will go. Also take note of the power supply and let us know what it is, a picture would work.

If space is a concern, you're almost for sure able to fit this in there.
http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GeFo...=UTF8&qid=1463345108&sr=8-16&keywords=gtx+970

If you have a bit more breathing room, I'd do this one.

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-...e=UTF8&qid=1463345108&sr=8-1&keywords=gtx+970

FuryRosewood

id heavily advise against the evga card, friend has one, its died twice due to heat sag. buy something with a backing plate if you are going to go non-ref cooler, or stick with the ref cooler.

mistersprinkles

I can guarantee you the following

1) Your power supply will not support the higher end GPUs because of
a)Not enough amps @ 12V
b)Probably doesn't even have PCIE power connectors

2) Your case is likely not sufficiently ventilated to accomodate such a card without said card throttling

If you are at the point where you are ready to do things like add a better GPU, you are at the point where you can consider building your entire computer yourself.

The most you can get into these prebuilt machines that are not geared towards gaming is usually a low power card that does not require PCIE power such as (most but not all) 750Ti's. Those are not powerful enough for a compelling VR experience anyways.

If you can afford the Oculus Rift, you can afford to fix your problem. The motherboard you have likely does not have standard mounting or use standard power supply connections. Find out if it is fully ATX compliant (do some googling). If it is you will need:

A new case (ie, Corsair 200R), a new power supply (ie, Corsair CX600). Everything else can be stuck in the new case. Add your GTX 970 or 980 or better yet 1070 or 1080 and you are good to go.

If the motherboard is NOT fully ATX compliant, you will need a new motherboard as well. You do not have K sku CPU so an H97 motherboard will be more than enough for you.

Be aware that if you do not have an ATX compliant motherboard, your CPU cooler may also not be compliant with the standard socket 115X mouting, and so would not work on a standard board. In this case you will need a new CPU cooler such as a coolermaster Hyper 212.