Can I run 2 IDE HDD as well as 1 SATA HDD

dansilva

I want to know if this is possible. I have 2 Western Digital IDE hard drive disks (120GB and 160GB) and recently I bought a 320 Seagate SATA hard drive disk to replace my WD 160GB. Is it possible to have 2 IDE hard drive disks running as well as Seagate 320 SATA HDD?

Thank you!

Trizoy

VIP Member
yes it is possible. You have sata port on your motherboard right?

Need help installing? Which HD's are new?

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
As long as you have an open SATA port and an open pata port (i think thats what its called), you can do it.

edit: trizoy beat me to it :p

dansilva

trizoy beat me to it
lol

Thanks for quick replies.

Yes I have ports opend for both PATA and SATA. I installed Seagate 320 SATA already and now its formatting....

This is how it goes...This is the way I want my HDD to be..

WD 120GB (PATA) Primary HDD (this is already in place)
WD 160GB (PATA) Secondary HDD (not installed yet but waiting to be...)
SG 320GB (SATA) Third HDD???? (currently formatting)

is this possible?

Trizoy

VIP Member
Yes, it will work... as long as there is a port. If you have 50 ports, you can plug in 50 drives. Whats with 600gb?

Note: Make sure you enable the por tin bios.

dansilva

Trizoy said:
Yes, it will work... as long as there is a port. If you have 50 ports, you can plug in 50 drives. Whats with 600gb?

Note: Make sure you enable the por tin bios.

do i need to set the jumpers in SATA HDD to third place?

600GB? lol. basically i want to store media, specially my cd collection sort of backing up, and other purposes.

Thanks.

SC7

Why wouldn't you run the system of the SATA drive, Windows _should_ run faster of SATA than PATA as the main drive. Plus it's bigger for program files, and even "my music/pics/vids."

dansilva

SC7 said:
Why wouldn't you run the system of the SATA drive, Windows _should_ run faster of SATA than PATA as the main drive. Plus it's bigger for program files, and even "my music/pics/vids."

right...if this is the case and if i were to install windows xp in SATA drive then i am gonna need programme or software to wipe my WD 120GB HDD which has the OS running completely.

Also does the jumper setting requires in SATA drive

for example if SATA HDD gonna be the primary HDD then jumper setting need to be 1, am i right here?

Thanks

JFHuff

On my MB the SATA hdd dont need the jumpers at all. The ports are configured 1 trough however many u have. For example i have 4 SATA ports. I took the jumpers off both of them and installed them in. The one in the first port is primary and so on. I mean i could be wrong but it worked for mine.

Rehcamretsnef

dansilva said:
do i need to set the jumpers in SATA HDD to third place?

600GB? lol. basically i want to store media, specially my cd collection sort of backing up, and other purposes.

Thanks.

psh... i have twice that much. lol. u wouldnt believe the amount of stuff i have here all saved on my HDDs lol.

320, 300, 250, 200, 120, and an 80. And they can alll run at the same time lol.