Can i run a 64bit operating system?

dark_legacy2006

I am pretty sure my computer can run 64bit operating systems but i would hate to screw up on a 200dollar purchase, my processor is
2.25 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64

that 64 means i can run the Windows XP Professional 64 bit edition right?

thanks

PC eye

banned
With a good 2gb of memory installed you can also run one of the 64bit Vista editions. The oem cost for the XP Pro 64bit is found cheaper then other versions entirely. The main drawback with the 64bit version of XP is simply the lack of support for 3rd party drivers. For 64bit you would far better off with either a Vista 64bit edition or a 64bit Linux distro over XP Pro 64bit.

SirKenin

banned
The question isn't so much "can I" as much as it's "should I"...and the answer to that, in most cases, is a resounding "NO!!!". lol. Third party support for it is terrible. Weak at best. You are giving yourself a lot of headaches you just don't need.

dark_legacy2006

all right one more question is Vista easy to install i dont want to just put it in the cdrom i would like to boot by cd and install that way so i can completely format is this going to be difficult?

PC eye

banned
Vista is now seen on a dvd being a larger version of Windows seeing larger installation files. No suprise for any newer version being larger to some degree since XP was released 7yrs. ago. Vista does see one big improvement for seeing it installed.

The drive tools have been improved with the ability now to format a partition as well as resize existing ones along with creating new ones. Plus Windows is checked to automatically activate itself once the installation finishes and you are connected online. That can be unchecked for later activation once you are ready for that.