Can I save MSN/xml chats as PDFs?

marco772

Hi,

I like to save my MSN chats and check them over later sometimes. I previously had a mac and the chat client, Adium, would allow you to save a chat as a PDF which made it nice to read back (unlike the saved chat logs), as it preserved the fonts and colours.

This was done from the print option.

Now I have Windows 7, I can't find a way to do this any more.

Does anyone know of a, preferably freeware, program that will let me save a single chat as a PDF and preserve the formatting.

Also, I lost some chats when my hard drive crashed last month. Someone has sent me the chats they'd kept. It's a Safari Document .xml

The only thing is looks readable on is Word.

So is there a program that will convert the xml (taken from MSN) to a readable PDF format?

I have Googled this but it hasn't got me anywhere.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Mark

tremmor

i suspect you could if using firefox as a client for the internet. there are lots of pluggins . query 'pdf'. any place on the net i can convert to pdf. not with a mail client though like thunderbird. firefox only.

im just saying its a maybe. might meet your needs.

Last edited:
Hi,
I don't think you can save two computers chat history on one computer. It saves on the computer that you using. It saves on the hard drive somewhere, I don't think you have the option to link the two together.

Thanks

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,
I don't think you can save two computers chat history on one computer. It saves on the computer that you using. It saves on the hard drive somewhere, I don't think you have the option to link the two together.

Thanks

Thats not what he is asking, read his post again.

marco772

Thats not what he is asking, read his post again.

Darn tootin'.

I found a program called ABC XML Convertor, but it's not really doing the job either. I would have thought, as they are Windows logs saved from MSN that there would be a way make them look 'proper' i.e.display the name of the 'chatees' before each line, but it's not looking promising so far!

Any further suggestions are welcomed! :)

Mark

Nafisa

banned
Im sure theres a converter available on the web to do this? i have never even though about saving my MSN chat logs as PDF, let alone HTML ...

canivari

Hi,

I like to save my MSN chats and check them over later sometimes. I previously had a mac and the chat client, Adium, would allow you to save a chat as a PDF which made it nice to read back (unlike the saved chat logs), as it preserved the fonts and colours.

This was done from the print option.

Now I have Windows 7, I can't find a way to do this any more.

Does anyone know of a, preferably freeware, program that will let me save a single chat as a PDF and preserve the formatting.

Also, I lost some chats when my hard drive crashed last month. Someone has sent me the chats they'd kept. It's a Safari Document .xml

The only thing is looks readable on is Word.

So is there a program that will convert the xml (taken from MSN) to a readable PDF format?

I have Googled this but it hasn't got me anywhere.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Mark

XML usually can be readed with excell or word.
So,to create a readable PDF i usually a PDF creator printer that can downloaded from here (its freeware)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/
The only thing that you need to do is go to print and you gonna see there a new printer called PDFCreator (thats what i use in my windows 7 at the moment) and click in save and choose the output destiny and thats it.
Hope that helps