Cannot disable auto update on google chrome?

i_hate_toms

i've been hearing good things about google chrome lately.
being a life long firefox fan, i thought i'd give google a chance to enter my laptop. installed chrome, and soon discovered a "google update" service running almost all the time, and chrome doesn't give me the option to disable that. Searched google (ironic) on how to disable auto updates, turns out i have to do some registry editing. Weird. A thing as simple as auto-update, cannot be disabled from the browser settings. How come experienced users love a browser that doesn't give them complete control over everything like firefox does?
It's not for me. I immediately removed chrome and switched right back to my good old trustworthy mozilla firefox. The thing that troubles me, is how come so many of you guys like a software that will continuously stay connected to google.com? I understand updating the browser is a good practice, but if i don't want to, i should be able to stop it. You can disable auto updates for everything, including windows updates and antivirus updates (not suggesting you do that), so why does google want to decide for me and take my choice away? One more reason to stay away from everything google (including android).

Punk

Staff member
Whining about a software that updates itself automatically. You've hit rock bottom mate...

i_hate_toms

Whining about a software that updates itself automatically. You've hit rock bottom mate...

Thanks for ur reply pal. M not whining about it auto-updating. I'm whining about it not letting me disable the auto-updater and running a "google update" process even after i exit chrome. Appreciate the difference, can't you? :p

Punk

Staff member
Thanks for ur reply pal. M not whining about it auto-updating. I'm whining about it not letting me disable the auto-updater and running a "google update" process even after i exit chrome. Appreciate the difference, can't you? :p

Why is it lagging your computer so much you need to disable it? It's just checking for updates, it's not spying on you. And no I'm not whining, Chrome is far faster than Firefox, on Win and Linux (Ubuntu). I personally don't give a crap if I can't turn the auto-update off, I want my browser to be up to date and to be honest I didn't even noticed it was on because it's not lagging anything. That's what I call whining. You don't want to use Chrome then don't, just don't try to find excuses to hate it.

i_hate_toms

Why is it lagging your computer so much you need to disable it? It's just checking for updates, it's not spying on you. And no I'm not whining, Chrome is far faster than Firefox, on Win and Linux (Ubuntu). I personally don't give a crap if I can't turn the auto-update off, I want my browser to be up to date and to be honest I didn't even noticed it was on because it's not lagging anything. That's what I call whining. You don't want to use Chrome then don't, just don't try to find excuses to hate it.

Why? Do you own google.com shares? Or are you a coder working for google? (you probably aren't an engineer at all, just someone who has learned a few unix tricks by reading online forums, probably don't even own a single textbook on unix or shell coding. most of my friends, student engineers, and me, don't think about computers the way you do. but never mind).
It's not "lagging" if by that you mean slowing the computer down.
It's called "design philosophy".
When I build a software, i want to give the user as much control over the program as it is logically feasible. Taking control away from the user and dumbing down a system, is so against the open software ideology. If you like linux, you probably should realize my point by now.
I don't like fighting in online forums for silly reasons, and so i won't reply to you any more, write what you will, i will just ignore your posts from now on. Thanks and have a good day pal :)

Punk

Staff member
Why? Do you own google.com shares? Or are you a coder working for google? (you probably aren't an engineer at all, just someone who has learned a few unix tricks by reading online forums, probably don't even own a single textbook on unix or shell coding. most of my friends, student engineers, and me, don't think about computers the way you do. but never mind).
It's not "lagging" if by that you mean slowing the computer down.
It's called "design philosophy".
When I build a software, i want to give the user as much control over the program as it is logically feasible. Taking control away from the user and dumbing down a system, is so against the open software ideology. If you like linux, you probably should realize my point by now.
I don't like fighting in online forums for silly reasons, and so i won't reply to you any more, write what you will, i will just ignore your posts from now on. Thanks and have a good day pal :)

You don't know me mate. I don't even see why you bring up the fact the computers aren't my job, that doesn't change the fact I can give my experience. I couldn't care less if they took off my right to turn this off, this isn't sending any information (apart from the browser version probably) to google. Why would I own google share? Just cause I like Chrome? Yeah you probably shouldn't answer if it is to give dumb arguments.
But I let you in your "engineer" or "student engineer" World, apparently we, the rest of the people, don't speak the same language as you do.

NyxCharon

Just use chromium if you care so much about auto-updates

http://www.chromium.org/administrators/turning-off-auto-updates said:
Q: Does the open-source Chromium browser auto-update like Chrome?
No. Chromium does not have its own auto-update process, so if you are deploying Chromium, do you not need to worry about turning off auto-updates.

spirit

Staff member
It's a good thing that your web browser automatically keeps itself up to date. You don't want to be using an out of date browser.

And yeah like Nyx said above, use Chromium if you don't want automatic updates.