Canon 20D on the way!

Rit

I can't believe I did it! Such an impulse buy, but I bought a DSLR, now I just need a lens. Any recommendations?:confused:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
How much did you pay for it? And what kind of lens are you looking for? General? Telephoto? Wide-Angle?

Rit

Got a 'gently used one' for $200 with less than 10k clicks on it. I'd like to start using the camera on e-bay stuff to sell, so semi-studio I guess and then outdoors stuff. I'm going to be going on my honeymoon soon out in the mountains, so need something for that as well.

tremmor

Looks good. I don't have one. Get a zoom or you will miss it. Wide angle is nice for group pictures. A macro is lens is fun and cheap enough. Your right. I checked Ebay. Descent price i think. I have it all for Cannon S3IS but have everything.

Rit

My photographer for my wedding said that this would be a good DSLR to learn on, so I got it. Now just need the lenses, but don't know what the difference between macro, wide, etc.. lenses are :confused:

tremmor

Macro is for taking say a picture of a ant, 1/2" away and look like a monster. A flower perhaps or a butterfly.

Zoom is obvious. While in Alaska i took pictures of whales. I did not have a zoom. You could barely see it in the picture. Yours a 1/2 mile away will look like your 10' away.

Wide angle: Take a picture of 30 members of your family and try to get everybody. it won't happen.

Rit

Macro is for taking say a picture of a ant, 1/2" away and look like a monster. A flower perhaps or a butterfly.

Zoom is obvious. While in Alaska i took pictures of whales. I did not have a zoom. You could barely see it in the picture. Yours a 1/2 mile away will look like your 10' away.

Wide angle: Take a picture of 30 members of your family and try to get everybody. it won't happen.

I get that :p Just like a 50mm f1.8 or 200m f1.4, etc....

tremmor

You know more than ya think. Im the one that does not know. Get ready for the next adventure. But at least i can ask here. They know the answers.
cheers....

bkribbs

I have that camera as well. It a good camera. Post back with what you decide to get, I'm interested to see.

Rit

After doing some 'basic' research, I think I may start with a 50mm f1.8 just so I can start getting an idea of how to use the camera and basic settings.

iurytx

basic kit = 50 f1.8, 18-55mm is, and a 55-250mm. those three lenses should cover everything you need for now.

Rit

basic kit = 50 f1.8, 18-55mm is, and a 55-250mm. those three lenses should cover everything you need for now.

Just ordered the first 2 lenses and going to see maybe about the 3rd one you have list. It seemed like a majority of my photography connections recommended the same thing. Now just need a bag and I'm set!