Can't connect to Steam

SoupHead

This problem has been consistent for a few weeks. Basically, when my computer tries to update steam it can't and I can't log in to offline mode. I can't play any games. My home network is setup with a LAN connection between two computers in our main room. My computer is in my room and is receiving its connection from a small laptop. I've been looking this problem up for awhile and haven't been able to find anything I haven't done. I've checked firewalls multiple times and have looked through the router settings endlessly for something that may be blocking steam. Through random experimentation, I've noticed that none of the computers in my house can ping google or access steam, which I found odd. Everybody can connect to the internet perfectly fine. Also, I don't know if it would have caused steam problems, but recently I port forwarded a port for minecraft. I don't see how that would keep steam from working, but the problem began around the time I set up my minecraft server. I have tried undoing the port forward and testing Steam but that also didn't work. I really don't know what to do so if you could try to help that would be awesome.

Thanks,
Souphead :cool:

jspears80

I don't really understand what you're saying. You have your desktop connected to a laptop's connection? (Internet Connection Sharing) or is everything connected to a single router? (either wireless or wired)

You have Internet access but can't ping google?

Have you tried completely reseting your router back to factory defaults?

Honestly, if you can't ping google then I would imagine you're having DNS issues.

Is your setup like:

Modem ---> Router ---> PCs?

or

Modem --- PC -- PC --erpderhp - router - PC? (joke)

Last edited:

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I'd suggest that if you work out your problem pinging Google the rest will work itself out.

Are you sure your connection is working at all? Can any computer in your house access anything on the internet?

SoupHead

Yeah. I got it working by setting the router back to defaults. Just to clarify what I meant it was that I was using internet connection sharing between the desktop and the laptop. But there were also other computers hooked directly into the router that also couldn't connect to steam or ping google. Everything could access the internet. I don't really know what was wrong but resetting everything fixed it. I never changed the router settings initially though, which is why I find it weird that that fixed it.

Thanks for the help,
SoupHead