Cant find my cmos battery

dark_legacy2006

I have an acer aspire 8920 and it recently crashed.
I did alot of stupid stuff to fix it. It wouldnt boot so my friend had the genius idea he would install ubuntu over my existing windows vista for me and i didnt like it so i decided i would install windows again so i formatted my hd and now when i boot it it says no harddrive detected. SO i went into bios and it says "harddrive password frozen" So i researched that and i guess it means my hd is locked so i googled and they sayed if i reset my bios my hd wont be frozen and i can install an os onto it. So i took apart my laptop and dont know where the battery is and i dont really want to wreck it. Does anyone know where abouts it would be and what it looks like. Or if you could tell me what kind of mobo i have i could probably research it.

thanks in advance

Shlouski

VIP Member
It looks like a watch battery, but bigger. Its on the motherboard, its round, about 2cm in width and silver. It would be better after removing the battery to reset the cmos, otherwise you will have to wait hours with the battery out.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Its most likely not your battery. Most newer laptops have ahci enabled in the bios which means when you go to install windows it needs a driver for the installation to actually see a hard drive. Do you still have the recovery cd's from the manufacturer? If not, and you deleted the recovery partition as well then you will either have to order recovery cd's or slipstream the driver into a new install cd. You can use the program called Nlite to slipstream the driver.

dark_legacy2006

well i still cant find the battery i hear its on the mobo right by the actually laptop battery but nothing fits that description. I would be willing to buy some recovery cds if you think i can recover it without an os(i just dont know where to find them). I forgot to add i tried using hirens boot cd which had partition magic on it and i detects my drive and i set up a local disk but same problem happens.