Can't Install Printer Drivers!

cpu1

Can't Install Printer Drivers

Ok, so I've had an Epson Stylus NX415 installed for about a year now, have used it lightly, but never had any trouble with it.

Recently, when I tried to print a Works Spreadsheet, I got the following message:
print3v.jpg

So I tried updating the driver, but it told me I had the latest version.

However, when I plug in my printer, I get the "Found New Hardware" dialog. I never got that before.

When I click on Find and Install Driver, this is what inevitably happens:

print1q.jpg

print2o.jpg

I've tried downloading the appropriate driver files from the website, but get the same result.

I've even used Revo Uninstaller Pro to get rid of any epson stuff in my computer and then put the original software disk in, but still get these messages.

Can you guys give me any suggestions?

Thanks a lot for all of your help!

cpu1

Good news, I fixed it.

Believe it or not, I wasn't even able to install a new driver.

I finally figured out what was causing it. There is a service in Windows called "print spooler." Well, when this service is not running, you can't print....you can't even install a driver!

I finally fixed it using the instructions on this site: http://crazzycool.blogspot.com/2009/03/quick-fix-print-spooler-service-is-not.html

However, if you Google search, there are lot of different fixes for this problem, and different ones work depending on your situation. In my case, it seems like the service doesn't stay on automatic permanently, though, so I may have to do more investigating.

Anyway, I hope this helps anyone who has this same problem.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, used to have that problem quite a bit with some systems. Usually only a fresh install of windows worked and then never had a problem afterwards.

cpu1

Good to know.

What do you mean by a fresh install of Windows? Do I have to purchase a disk with the OS on it in order to do this?

Thanks.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Either an install cd or recovery cd or recovery partition to set the system back to when you first bought it. I haven't had that issue in years though. I had it once and then some of my clients has had the same issue.

cpu1

Either an install cd or recovery cd or recovery partition to set the system back to when you first bought it. I haven't had that issue in years though. I had it once and then some of my clients has had the same issue.

Thanks for explaining this.