Can't pick CPU, which am3 CPU? Need to know in 3 hours.

87dtna

I got an MSI 870-G45, It may have a 870NB but it still uses the older 710SB, and MSI's core unlocker does unlock L3, (I'm just not sure if it'll work on this specific board). Does ACC come with SB or NB?

It's the south bridge. The 710 can unlock L3 if it has it. However, running ACC will also attempt to unlock a 4th core. So if that core is unstable, you may get a no POST or a BSOD. So, if that happens, try again but change some cpu settings so that 3 cores are active. Or actually, it may just say ''all'' because it's only a triple core. In that case, set it to 2 cores, and reboot with ACC then go back into the Bios and change it to 3 cores. Then you have a chance of having 3 cores with L3 cache.

Just FYI, the south bridges that have ACC to unlock cores and cache are the SB710, 750, and 850.

lemon07r

Oh thanks for the confirmation, I got scared for a moment. My parts just arrived today too =D, but I haven't started yet I still need to get windows 7 and I'm ordering some new thermal compound for $5 today with free shipping (the one that came with my zalman is absolutely horrible, I know that W/mK isn't everything but the thermal paste that came with the zalman has only 1.2W/mK). I'm going to get that XClio power supply in a few months (in like 4 or 2 months, the HEC should last like 6 months according to the reviews)

Last edited:

lemon07r

Scratch that, I decided to keep my cruddy zalman thermal grease and to get new thermal grease when I get a new CPU (it will be a 8 core bulldozer and tuniq tx-4 by then).