Can't update ATI Driver

lucade

Hallo, I've got an annoying problem with my driver for my ATI Radeon HD 5650.
I have an old version of the driver and catalyst stuff (8.01) and I want to update it to the newer one (12.4).

So I uninstalled the old driver, catalyst control center and the install manager first. Then I used Driver Sweeper to really clean everything up. I rebooted the computer and tried to install the newer version (12.4). But somehow it doesnt work. The one i downloaded was the catalyst software suite from http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx .

When fire the .exe file up. It starts and gives me an install manager. I have to select where to install it and if I want the quick or the adapted version. (i did them both, there were no differences). So when I'm done with that I click install and it does a few things for like 5 seconds and than says it's done. But nothing happened! Uhh..what?!

The only driver that seems to work, is the one I download directly from HP's website (version 8.771.1.0). Than, when i start the setup, it also gives me the same install manager with the same options. Than when I click install, it works for about 3 minutes and afterwords askes me to reboot. After rebooting I can see that it did work.

Can it be that HP only allows a single driver and doesn't want me update it? Why would do that?
Help will be much appreciated.

My specs are:
HP Pavilion DV6-3190ed (laptop)
Windows 7 (64-bit)
Intel i5 (2,53GHz)
4GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5650

wolfeking

banned
It is not that HP does not allow it. AMD says on the 12.4 mobile download page that it does not work on laptops that are using switchable graphics. Meaning that you will have to uninstal your intel HD drivers, and driver sweep them and then try 12.4. If that does not work, then you will be stuck with the HP drivers which are massively out of date.