Can't Use Two HDD At Once

Signorino

Hello,
I recently built a desktop. I bought a new 2Tb Seagate to put in it, and I already owned a 500gb Seagate. I'm trying to put them both into my computer, but for some reason, my computer will only see one at a time. At first, I assumed my SATA cable was broken, but I've tried switching the cables, and the ports they're in, and my computer will always see one of them no matter what cable or port it's using, but it won't see them both at the same time. I'm using a Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H motherboard. Is there some setting I have to change so that it will see multiple harddrives at once?
Thanks.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
So you have your primary hard drive connected and it can boot into Windows?

Once you're in Windows you need to go into Disk Management and format the new 2TB drive.

Signorino

I should also mention that I've been running it on just the 2tb one, leaving the 500gb plugged in. Occasionally, it will find the 500gb one, but it usually loses it shortly after. Although, as I've said, I've tried switching the cables and the ports, and they all work fine.

One of these times that it did find the 500gb harddrive, I formatted it, but it didn't help the issue at all.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Reset your cmos by unplugging power cord from power supply, remove cmos battery, press the power button on the case for 10 seconds, then wait 10 minutes. Then reinsert battery, reconnect power and try booting up.

On a side note, what power supply are you using? When the system doesn't detect the drives can you hear/feel them spin up? Might want to see if there is a bios update for the motherboard.

Signorino

I just reset the cmos, and it doesn't seem to have done anything. I'm still having the same problem. I am using a Corsair TX850M power supply, and I think I can here both hard drives starting up when I turn on the computer. Also, I think my motherboard is up to date.

Signorino

Well, sort of. I start the bios, and I click "Select Boot", and I can only see the CD drive and the 2tb. Once I hit exit, it asks if I want to override the boot with one of the following devices, and shows both hard drives and the CD drive. Once I start the computer, it only sees the 2tb.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Above^^. Good question, if they show up or not in the bios it would let you know if its a bios or windows problem.

Signorino

Yes, all ports are enabled. Also, when I look at all of the ports under system, it shows both hard drives and what ports they are plugged into.

Signorino

I've also found that the computer seems very shaky when I leave the 500gb hard drive plugged in, regardless of if it sees it or not. If I leave it plugged in, the computer takes a long time to start up and it freezes rather often. If I leave it unplugged, it runs much smoother.

Signorino

I can't get it to see the hard drive for any decent amount of time when in Windows, so I can't run that program to check, but I'm certain the hard drive is in good condition. I bought it new around Christmas, used it for around three months, then it sat in a plastic bag in a drawer for around two weeks, until I tried to use it yesterday.

Signorino

Oh yeah, I guess that was kind of stupid. I tried to do this, and it says "The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible". Looks like it's the hard drive.

Signorino

Hello. I had Seagate replace the hard drive, and I'm still having the same issue. Does anyone have any other ideas?