CD Burner, DVD player. and DVD burner setup

Styleprojekt

Ok i've read here that lots of people recommend not to get combo drives, but single for each function.

If i'd get those 3

DVD Burner
CDRW
DVD Reader/Player

wich brands/models would you recommend. My MOBO has 6 SATA oulets i believe, wich is probably the way to go when you have them right?

I don't think that a DVD burner and a DVD reader are really needed as the burner can read DVD's as well. I think they ment getting a CD burner and a DVD burner... I don't really know much about drives but I'd skip the DVD reader.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Ok i've read here that lots of people recommend not to get combo drives, but single for each function.

I don't think that a DVD burner and a DVD reader are really needed as the burner can read DVD's as well. I think they ment getting a CD burner and a DVD burner... I don't really know much about drives but I'd skip the DVD reader.

CD Burner -- No DVDBurner/DVDROM will ever match the CD functionality of any decent CD burner. That is, while there *are* two-sheep non-CDRW drives, they usually just glide in as bare minimum qualifications (basic EFM functionality, usually not beyond the capacity for SD2.7 .. considering current version is SD4.something its a bit back)

DVDROM -- Straight out of the box, DVDROMs own everyone for DVDripping speed; also, not beeing burner drives they DONT have the ability to detect ATIP (which has its uses, say with SecurROM backups). Furthermore, DVDripping is stressfull and better to put stress on a cheap drive designed to do just that

DVDRW -- Nothin to say really, DVDBurners give you DVD burning capability.

sho95

My sony works great for both dvd and cd burns with the combination of NERO. But if your planning to burn cd's more than dvd's then you should get a cd burner that way you don't wareout the dvd burner.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
My sony works great for both dvd and cd burns with the combination of NERO
Unfortunately, whilst the Sony may be a very respectable product it is in no way capable of matching say the ASUS CRW522452 (just a quick example of a cdrw drive) in any measure of EFM testing. There are but a few drives (like the Plextor PX-7xx) which are even comparable to a good CDRW drive (while the Plexy's hold their ground they wont beat a CDRW drive).

sho95

Praetor, I never said it was the best and or compared any other burner. It does the job maybe not to your standers but it does what it needs to with out having any problems with media.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
What about the Plex Premium?
The Plex Premium is a CDRW (and a superb one at that albeit overpriced IMO). If you mean the Plextor PX-7xx ... they can do proper EFM but not anywehre near what a CDRW can :)

Praetor, I never said it was the best and or compared any other burner. It does the job maybe not to your standers but it does what it needs to with out having any problems with media.
Absolutely :)