CD drive will read but not write disks

eliot94

My cd drive will read but not write disks.

However i tried to burn some music to a cd-r and it worked but when i tried to burn a movie to a dvd-r it didnt work

I never had any problems until recently, i am wondering have a possibly changed a setting, or do i need a new drive?

CardboardSword

Is your drive a DVD burner? CD burning and DVD burning are two very different things and is most likely the issue. If not, then software is the next suspect, what burning program are you using?

eliot94

i have a samsung super writemaster and it can certyainly burn DVD's because as i say i have had no problems burning DVD's until recently.

The software i have been using and was using before the problem occured is DVD Flick, i have tried burning with other software, however to no success.

When i am burning a disk none of the software i have tried has gives any error message and just continues as normal and finishes normally, however when i check the finished DVD it has no video on it.

jmcdonald93

Can you provide some more details about the actual problem? What are you using to play the burnt DVD?

Last edited:

tremmor

I guessing you did check device manager and look for any errors. Only other thing comes to mind is what happened that is different?

Perhaps new blank dvd's. (color of the dye). some burner laser detectors are more sensitive to color of dye.

eliot94

i said i already tried using different burning software.

To play the DVD i have tried 2 different DVD players but with both the DVD didnt work, btw the DVD player IS capable of playing DVD-Rs.

As i have already said, the movies always burned onto a blank DVD-R until about a month ago, i tried to burn a video and it didn't work. I am using the same DVD-Rs and everything is done the same way i always have done it.

tremmor

Only other thing i can think of is some space in time mine did not work. i opened the tray and lightly sprayed a blast of air over the laserhead with static free air. (lightly).

Bob692006

Have you tried popping the DVD back into your computer and seeing if it has any files on it using explorer?

Bob692006

So your not writing any information onto the disk. Not sure about that one unless the DVD drive is going out, which is very possible, as it sounds like you use it quite often. If you can get your hands on another drive, see if you can burn a DVD with it.