Certificate Error/Untrusted Connection for certain websites.

Darth Menace

Hey guys, recently I was having problems with my computer and I blamed it all on Vista. One problem I had was it would not let me connect to certain websites.

For example when I go to say my bank's website, Google Chrome went to a red screen and said SSL ERROR "The server's security certificate is not yet valid! When I would go to the same website on Firefox it would say UNTRUSTED CONNECTION "This Connection is Untrusted" and even if I clicked Proceed Anyways it wouldn't let me go in. My wife uses the same internet connection on her computer and it works fine for my banks website.

I first thought it was Vista and maybe some crap program I had on it so I did a clean install and put in Windows 7, but it says the same thing.

I would have thought it could be the internet browsers, but since both of them give me the same problem I then thought it might be a Windows Firewall setting. I went into the settings, and it was on so I turned it off and still have the same problem either way.

Does anybody have an idea where to look. Either in my browser settings or Windows settings. It proves to be an inconveninece having to use my wife's computer or work computer to do my online banking when in fact I know it is something to do with my computer

Thanks

DMGrier

VIP Member
For starters most pc problems can be aimed at windows if it is not user error. I know when I use to run windows my anti virus would kick me off a site if it caught a virus trying to get in. What anti virus do you have? Also have you tried internet explorer as well?

Darth Menace

My anti-virus I have is AVG, but even if i close AVG down the browser still does the same crap. Yes, when I had Vista on and I had the problem I did try Internet Explorer, but I haven't since I put in windows 7. I didnt try because i hate IE and just assume I would have the same problem

DMGrier

VIP Member
I use to use AVG too, best anti virus for windows if you ask me. Don't know but a shot in the dark might be you permission, right click on you browser icon and click on adminstrator permision and when it brings up the browser then try and go to the site.

My thoughts are is that it is windows so it is one of the millions of damn security features it could be.

Darth Menace

thanks for the help. I will try that and I hope it helps. What confuses me is my wife's works, but not mine. She has vista and a jammed computer. I set mine up all Sexy with the factory settings and the problem is still there. Will let you know how it goes
thanks

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You have the correct system date and time set right? Cause sometimes having the wrong date and time can screw with certain websites.

Darth Menace

The time is correct at this moment and I can go to the website. Sometimes my laptop gets unplugged (3 kids) and the battery dies. When I restart it is at January 1, 2008. I should keep my eye on this more often hahaha. Thanks for the help!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It seems you may have a dead cmos battery. The cmos battery keeps track of settings and time when the pc is shut off. If the time resets after the battery runs out or gets unplugged then you need to replace the cmos battery on the motherboard

Justin86

Just wanted to post here that I was having the same trouble. After reading this post I too noticed that my date and time were messed up. Fixed them and everything seems to be running fine now. Just wanted to throw that out there :)