Charger cord sparks

wbt50

The chord that connects from the actual power unit to the laptop is damaged and copper wires have appeared, If I move the chord in anyway it produces tiny sparks.

I'm just wondering how dangerous this is and is it still usable ? Could it damage the laptop in anyway ? I'm guessing there is very little possibility of a fire as it is not the chord that is connected to the wall socket but however I may be wrong.

Thanks for any help.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
This goes for any kind of power cable. If it's worn, throw it out and buy a replacement!

wbt50

Problem is, it's not my laptop. I just want to charge it up just to have some time to troubleshoot it as it running unusably slow.

tylerjrb

best option is to replace the whole charger unit itself, you could put some heat shrink insulation or tape over the bare wires aslong as they are fully covered ie. wrapping like 100mm longer than needed. ive done this with an old charger and never had a problem with it.

To be honest i wouldnt risk it or you could set something on fire especially if its from the plug end or electrocute yourself if you dont have experience etc.

strollin

Best option is to replace the cord, however to fix it I would locate the damaged section of the cord and cut it out. Then I would strip 1/2 inch of insulation from each end of the wires, then twist them together and solder them. Afterwards, wrap with tape.

In any case, it isn't wise to use the cable in it's present condition.

wbt50

Okay, thanks for the advice.

I've found a different charger with the exact same head, the only problem is, the original charger output was 19V and 4.74A while the one I just found is 19V and 3.42A. Is it safe to use it at all or can it damage the laptop in any way ?

Again thanks for any help, electronics is not my strong point!

strollin

Not really safe to use that one either since the amperage is too low. At best, the replacement won't be able to power the laptop and charge the battery at the same time. At worst, the replacement will run hot because the laptop will be trying to draw more amps than the thing can deliver and it will burn itself up trying.

You really need one with 19V and at least 4.74A (higher is OK, lower isn't).

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Check the requirements of the laptop to see what amperage it requires.

spirit

Staff member
I know you know now, but if the power cable is producing sparks isn't it kind of obvious that it might not be safe to use it? Lol. :p