Cheap but powerful non gaming desktop

Mark4_4

Hey, my friend is look for a cheap computer that will not need to run games but will be good for programming. He also plans to use 2 screens with it and multitask.

What sort of specs would he need?

What sort of price range is he looking at?

Any good examples?

Darren

Staff member
For those purposes you don't need to spend a whole lot. 600USD or so? I don't know other currencies and prices in different countries but there are a fair amount of Brits on here that might guide you to the promised land.

Is he open to building it?

Mark4_4

I'm sure he wouldn't mind building it. He really wants to spend as little money as possible but he had no idea what sort of budget to set I'd guess a maximum of ~£300.

C4C

Seems pretty doable. Is that price including the monitors or is it just the tower?

ninjabubbles3

This is almost exact to what I put together. I had an A8-6600K instead because the price to power ratio is better.

THIS, is quality content Ninja. Nice job :)

Thanks mate, wish we had a rep system like some other forums, if someone approves of a message you post, they rep you

Also, that lenovo is garbage, Intel onboard graphics with a 2.7 GHz processor? Nope

Mark4_4

Ah ok. That build you linked looks great ninja, I'll show him tomorrow and see what he thinks. Thanks for the help!

Edit: Also I'm curious, would an SSD be beneficial? Would there be a noticeable difference when programming/ compiling?

Last edited:

C4C

Edit: Also I'm curious, would an SSD be beneficial? Would there be a noticeable difference when programming/ compiling?

an SSD would be beneficial in file saving/opening and boot times.

+ that Lenovo isn't bad, but you could possibly have issues running multiple monitors.