cheapest computer you guys can build up...

goosy22

i'm looking to build my parents a new computer... i looked on newegg and found that i could cook up a quite decent model for about $320USD... what do you guys think of it... keep in mind that the most stress this thing will get is going on the internet and like starcraft-quality-type games... i'll probably throw in the upgrade ver. of xp home also... (also realize that i know i can lower price even more by downgrading cpu, ram, hdd, etc. but i thought this should keep them happy for now as it's much better than their current one, check the sig...)

Intel Celeron D 2.8 Ghz Skt 478 $69
PC Chips P256 M-ATX Mobo $39
G.SKILL 512MB PC 3200 DDR-400 RAM $34
Western Digital Caviar 80GB 7200 IDE $49
Linkworld MicroATX MiniTower Case w/ 300W PSU $28
NEC CRT Monitor .27mm dot pitch $89
Lite-On USD Keyboard $5
Sunbeam Firelin Optical USB Mouse $5

will everything be compatible?

Last edited:

suprasteve

everything there should work ogther, you still need some sort of disk drive and probably speakers. I would consider looking at a local computer store if you're wanting to spend ~$400 cause you can get a comparable one prebuilt when you get down to the cheap end of the spectrum

Crazydude185

Local computer store might be more expensive than... buying a prebuilt one like on the internet... but idk its up to you if you can find one ebay on something... and buying a prebuilt one on there it might be cheaper but then you have to worry about the risk of it not working and the shipping fees =/

McSpin

If price is the concern, how can you beat a Dell. $399 for a complete system with lcd monitor and software? I'm not talking about quality, just price. It really is amazingly low.

tweaker

VIP Member
Avoid PC Chips motherboards.

McSpin said:
I'm not talking about quality, just price. It really is amazingly low.

Yes, and theres nothing wrong with the quality either. I mean there is always a warranty on the stuff you buy.

Calibretto

VIP Member
I would downgrade the HDD to maybe 40 or 60GB. I don't think your parents are gonna store alot of stuff. That could save a few bucks in the process. Heck, I have a 40GB HDD that my whole family uses!

McSpin

tweaker said:
Yes, and theres nothing wrong with the quality either. I mean there is always a warranty on the stuff you buy.

I wasn't trying to imply that the quality was low. In fact, for the price paid, the quality is fantastic. In fact, I purchased one for my daughter to use in college. She doesn't play games and it's more than adequate for college work.

goosy22

oh yeah optical drive... my bad...

and tweaker, any specific reason to avoid them? i'm supposing bad quality and reliability would be the worst.. ori can even downgrade to an asus mobo for like 30 bucks

dfioret1

Dont get a PC chips mobo. They sucks. It isnt worth it. If you go to tigerdirect.com they have the same Celeron D with an Asus motherboard for 60 bucks with a mail in rebate. Also, ur most expensive component is your monitor. Its a shitty CRT monitor. It should be free. Go on www.craigslist.org and find someone in your area selling a monitor. A lot of people give them away for free in the free section, but under computers you should be able to get one for 30 bucks tops.