Cheepest ethernet to wifi adapter.

Flintwheel

I need a cheap ethernet to wifi adapter so i can use my old pc with wifi. The pc is only 200mhz pentium mmx so anything that will work will do.

Flintwheel

you have to watch out with that, actually. AFAIK, most USB wifi adapters are usb 2.0, and not backwards compatible.

Don't know what version of usb my mb has, but i would think 1.0/1.1. The problem with usb is i have bought alot of usb devices in the past and they all claim to work with 98se but when i try to install them it just gives me an error or says the driver is incompatable. very few usb things acually work with 98 it seems.

I have seen ethernet bridges for sale, but there allways £30-40 and thats more than i can afford. Also, they have a wall wart which puts out about 12v, and this homemade computer doesnt have a 12v power rail.

I have a wifi card that would POSSIBLY work, but then I can't have ethernet.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
you have to watch out with that, actually. AFAIK, most USB wifi adapters are usb 2.0, and not backwards compatible.

The bigger issue is going to be finding one that will work with the OS that you have on that computer. It probably has Windows 98 on it? And most, if not all adapters require at least XP now.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy

I've used plenty of USB adapters on USB 1.1 ports and they've all worked. The Windows 98 concern is valid though. Not sure if any drives have driver support.