Clean install of XP - messed up - what did I do to my new drive??

gone postal

Completely new computer build. I have 2 hard drives - both SATA. One is leftover from my old computer and has files I don't want to lose on it and the other is a brand new 500GB WD. When I first booted the XP CD, it detected both, but had the old drive (although it's in SATA2 slot) as C:\ and the new one as F:\. I wanted XP on the new drive. So, I shut down, disconnected the old one. Now, only the new 500GB was detected and as C:\.

My plan was to partition into a 50GB and two 225GB drives. I got the 50 done, but instead of hitting 'C' to create a new partition, I accidentally hit 'Enter' which proceeded to install XP in the free space. It didn't start installing, it just went to the next screen where you hit 'Enter' again to start. I hit 'ESC', but it wouldn't go back. Since this is not what I wanted and couldn't figure out how to go back, I shut the computer off.

Now whenever I start, it says "press any key to load from CD" and then tries to load from the Cd and says "unable to load operating system". I tried both DVD drives and even reconnected the old hard drive and put that ahead of the new FUBR'ed one and that didn't even help. The only way I could get XP to actually proceed and install was to unplug the new 500GB drive.

So, now XP is installed on the drive that I didn't want it on, but what can I do about the other one? Is there a program I can use (freeware preferably) or something built into XP that can partition / format that drive? I haven't even tried hooking it up yet to see if it even shows up in 'My Computer' - XP just finished loading and i'm actually on my laptop.

I really appreciate any help. I don't want a 500GB paperweight....

cdanik

Delete the partition on the new HD (the one you want xp on). Then start over again (partition your 50, 225, and 225.)

gone postal

Delete the partition on the new HD (the one you want xp on). Then start over again (partition your 50, 225, and 225.)

That's what I was planning to do, but like I said, it wouldn't load back up to the partitioning / formatting screen. Any particular reason why?

Finally, disk management in XP is all I should need right?

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Reset CMOS via your MoBo manual and try again. You'd be surprised how many issues that fixes:)

If you still have a problem, go into BIOS and set the CD/DVD Drive as the first boot device (as opposed to using the one-time boot screen). It's a good idea to keep the other HDD detached until XP is installed - it's easy enough to hook up later. How old is your XP disk, btw? Is it a Full Version or an Upgrade CD?

gone postal

Reset CMOS via your MoBo manual and try again. You'd be surprised how many issues that fixes:)

If you still have a problem, go into BIOS and set the CD/DVD Drive as the first boot device (as opposed to using the one-time boot screen). It's a good idea to keep the other HDD detached until XP is installed - it's easy enough to hook up later. How old is your XP disk, btw? Is it a Full Version or an Upgrade CD?

I appreciate the help. I ended up just booting into XP, hooked up the other drive and then used Disk Management to create other partitions in the "failed" drive. I then formatted them all, so that that drive was clean and partitioned the way I wanted. When i restarted, I unhooked the drive w/ XP installed, and put the DVD drive first in boot sequence. The install was a breeze.

As a side note, I'm loving SP3 on XP - I'm sure my new system is a huge help, but Windows seems so much faster now.

Last edited: