Cleaning up a computer?

Cypros

I was wondering what i can do to clean up my harddrive, I have 284 GB and im down to 26 GB which doesnt seem possible because i only have like 4-5 game installed and not much else significant. So is there a program i can download that is safe and will clean up some space, or something i can do. I did disk cleanup and about to defrag. The disk clean up cleaned up 64 MB. So please help me lol.

linkin

VIP Member
Disable system restore, and delete all restore points. Leave it off, and just use a program to back your files. (nero BackItUp for example)

Damorian

Run through your add/remove programs and uninstall things you don't really use anymore. You'd be surprised the amount of stuff you install over time. After that I'd recommend running CCleaner which may or may not clean up a significant amount of garbage files.

linkin

VIP Member
I second that. but the system restore takes up the most HDD space, it creates new points every 2 days, and it copies you entire system.

linkin

VIP Member
My Computer > Properties > System Protection

The options should be there. turning it off will delete all restore points.

djarvis1one

Check on pagefile.sys and hyberfil.sys. Also check for any errant logfiles. I followed some "tweaking" advice from a magazine on my XP set up a couple of years ago and ended up with a 36 gig log file that was growing exponentially.

Jeanne

banned
How about cleaning computer manually?

In fact, almost the temporary files are restored in the C:/Docucments and Settings/Users’ name, you can remove them as follows:

1. Open C: /Documents and Settings/Users’ name/Cookies, delete all the files, because it restores the left index files when visiting websites.

2. In the C: /Documents and Settings/Users’ name/Local Settings/History, delete the files since they belong to history record.
3. In the C: /WINDOWS/Temp, remove all these temporary files.
4. In the C:/Documents and Settings/Users’ name/Local Settings/Temp, remove such user’s temporary visiting files.
5. Open C:/Documents and Settings/Users’ name/Local Settings/Temporary Internet Files, delete all the page files.

G25r8cer

How about cleaning computer manually?

In fact, almost the temporary files are restored in the C:/Docucments and Settings/Users’ name, you can remove them as follows:

1. Open C: /Documents and Settings/Users’ name/Cookies, delete all the files, because it restores the left index files when visiting websites.

2. In the C: /Documents and Settings/Users’ name/Local Settings/History, delete the files since they belong to history record.
3. In the C: /WINDOWS/Temp, remove all these temporary files.
4. In the C:/Documents and Settings/Users’ name/Local Settings/Temp, remove such user’s temporary visiting files.
5. Open C:/Documents and Settings/Users’ name/Local Settings/Temporary Internet Files, delete all the page files.

CCleaner does all of this with one click. It also lets you select restore points to delete them as well as doing registry fix's.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

gamblingman

VIP Member
CCleaner does all of this with one click. It also lets you select restore points to delete them as well as doing registry fix's.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

I agree with G25r8cer on CCleaner

Why would you want to do all that cleaning manually. I used to do it manually, and I HATED it. Just use CCleaner, its fast, easy and works well.

And some people may go back and delete restore points, but I don't and I never have. I would not recommend that to the majority of people out there. Look, if your hard drive is full then get an external hard drive and put your music, photos, movies, etc... on it instead of filling your main hard drive.

If your hard drive is full, then something is filling it up. Have you looked in Add/Remove programs to see what all is on there? Also what kind of computer is it?