Comcast

uposb4

Anybody have Comcast high speed internet? I currently have dsl through Earthlink and was wondering how much better comcast would be. Any good bundle packages you know of? Thanks.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Comcast is much better than dsl. If you get phone, internet, tv then the price would be lower, but I only have their internet. 15mb speed for only 67.95/month. There is one speed lower I believe its 12mb for 59.95/month. But like I said, if you bundle it with something else its cheaper.

Jamin43

banned
Anybody have Comcast high speed internet? I currently have dsl through Earthlink and was wondering how much better comcast would be. Any good bundle packages you know of? Thanks.

I had comcast internet for about 6 months and it was awful. It was super fast when it worked - but the service was interrupted quite frequently - and sometimes it was down for 6 hours - a day - 2 hours - etc.

I dropped Comcast and switched to AT&T DSL and couldn't be happier. Only had 1 service interruption in a year and a half - and it was only for a few minutes. Not quite as fast as Comcast - but pretty fast nonetheless. And half the price. :good:

StrangleHold

Staff member
I've never had Comcast, but my brother did. He told me he would like to Impale everyone that works there on poles out side the main office. I dont think he liked them:D

uposb4

My Earthlink has become a problem in the last few weeks or so and i'm not sure if it's the service or maybe the dsl modem itself. Seems like im always having to cut power for a few minutes to get it restarted. What is the lifespan on a dsl modem?

ganzey

banned
comcast's phone service is s**t, but their internet is amazing. but they jacked up the prices about $13 a month since they bought out insight broadband. but still, its good internet, never had a problem with them.

aviation_man

comcast is amazingly fast, and no download cap!

Well what people don't know is they did put a cap on it, of 250Gb a month ;)

Yeah I have comcast - I love it! It's really fast, I get an average of 16-19 Mbp/s. with and upload of about 6-8Mbp/s. Yeah I've had some issues a few months ago, they were doing 'construction' which made the service go clunk, but that was in the wee hours of the night, around 4:00AM, and only for a an hour. (They don't do that stuff in the day, usually). I'd recommend it; it's been good for me. ISP's are like OS's, show me a good OS without any mistakes/bugs and I'll show you a flying donkey. Every company has its issues once in a while..

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I live in a town of about 15,000 people and have never had a major problem with Comcast. An outage here and there but didn't last long. You can get higher speeds with cable than you can with Dsl. I will not go down to DSL, I love how fast cable is.

aviation_man

647920829.png

My upload is slow tonight...

starlitjoker

alot of people rat on comcast because they are haters, but i love it. 25 mbs download a 8 mbs up so its nice, dont wanna bring pic cause im lazy and eating

ganzey

banned
alot of people rat on comcast because they are haters, but i love it. 25 mbs download a 8 mbs up so its nice, dont wanna bring pic cause im lazy and eating

+1. but the only downside is comcast in chicago. my sis lives there and they are horrible. the service is blotchy, customer service sucks and it taks like a week for someone to come fix a problem. but they are like a monopoly in chicago and theres nuthin she can do about it. but by my house its the best internetz:D:D

Motorcharge

ANY cable service is going to be better than DSL.

That being said, Comcast SUCKS. Their customer service is the worst customer service you will ever deal with. Their employees may as well be legally retarded. Their technicians do a horrible job.

As for the actual service, it varies. Expect it to suck for the first week or two. I've set it up in my apartment, both of my parents houses, my aunts house, and a few friends houses and EVERY single time theres been connection problems the first couple weeks. Half the time they don't register your cable modem as being active.

For all the headache though, I can't really complain too much about the actual connection after all the BS. I know my moms randomly goes out just about every time it rains though and the lines to her house have been replaced twice now.

edit: For years they were the only cable ISP here, but I've noticed they aren't quite as unbearable to work with since Verizon started offering Fios in the area.

Last edited:

codeman0013

ANY cable service is going to be better than DSL.

That being said, Comcast SUCKS. Their customer service is the worst customer service you will ever deal with. Their employees may as well be legally retarded. Their technicians do a horrible job.

Wow i usually dont take offence to something but wow i have 3 family members who work for comcast one who works in quality assurance being my mom and has for 20 years... Central Illinois never has problems with service if you call the local number not the 800 number you get a local person who knows what they are doing.. I had a problem a while back with signal strength and my hdtv not working right and they came out and rewired my entire house from the pole and all inside at no charge.. If you work with them they are quite friendly! I have a neighbor who just switched to verizon for a month so far and he said its been hell. They have been to his house 3 times already and it never works right.. Comcast's phone does suck and all my family members will even tell you dont get it.. you can call up tell them what you want and probably get a free modem and router and free dvr if you package cable and internet right now. They are very flexable if you work with them.. But my main suggestion.. find the local number dont call the 800 number which will send you to packistan..

Twist86

Comcast is perfect for the US....nice and crooked they work close in hand with the government as well selling out our privacy.
The people who come to your house (least in my experience for 10 years with comcast) are smart and friendly they say a lot of things they shouldn't such as my above comment. (least year before I moved)

Though as a service they suck....if its FIOS based lines then your fine but their cable lines are trash and horrible in the last few cities I have lived in. Little Rock was by far the best as it was a FIOS based line vs Cable line.
Also they are really crooked...they been blocking "vonage" users so they switch to their phone service and run programs such as Sandvine to prevent internet usage "they" don't like.

Reason I wont be going back now that live in a state with 2 cable ISPs. Also don't mind the 30mb speeds that is a false reading by powerboost you usually get less then what is advertised. This is how it went with me. Mediacom is actually really good here...I pay for a 12mb line and I get exactly that on direct downloads and stuff.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Comcast is perfect for the US....nice and crooked they work close in hand with the government as well selling out our privacy.
The people who come to your house (least in my experience for 10 years with comcast) are smart and friendly they say a lot of things they shouldn't such as my above comment. (least year before I moved)

Though as a service they suck....if its FIOS based lines then your fine but their cable lines are trash and horrible in the last few cities I have lived in. Little Rock was by far the best as it was a FIOS based line vs Cable line.
Also they are really crooked...they been blocking "vonage" users so they switch to their phone service and run programs such as Sandvine to prevent internet usage "they" don't like.

Reason I wont be going back now that live in a state with 2 cable ISPs. Also don't mind the 30mb speeds that is a false reading by powerboost you usually get less then what is advertised. This is how it went with me. Mediacom is actually really good here...I pay for a 12mb line and I get exactly that on direct downloads and stuff.

I have vonage hooked up to my comcast service and have no problems whatsoever. i've had it almost 3 years now.

ETSA

http://www.data200.com/why_comcast_sucks.htm

Interesting...

All cable companies are fairly shitty IMO, mine told me that during peak hours I can expect to see the bandwidth I pay for decrease, because bandwidth is throttled to the people who pay for there 18mb/s service, I am near the bottom with 6mb/s. So in other words I pay 40 bucks for 6mb/s internet, unless somebody else who pays 80 a month needs more bandwidth, than they get it. I still pay the same, horseshit. I don't really have a choice. BTW almost all major cable companies store and sell information they gather from your web use, so does google and every other search engine.

Last edited: