Compaq Evo N410C Booting problem

ghost1412

Hi

I do have Compaq Evo N410C P3, 512 MB memory, with 40 GB HD - running windows XP SP2 and was ruuning fine till my daughter by mistake through in the ground since than I start have the following problem

When I restart the computer it doesn't boot in normal mood , I only can boot it in Safe mood when I check the event viewr find out lots of bad sector and failed to boot the hard drive and windows doesn't boot at all.

Try to format the hard drive in order to get raid of the bad sector when I boot from the CD I get to the point when I delete the partition and creat a new one and start copy flies need it to start the installation of windows and at that time power off and computer restrat and never be able to get pass this step

So I decide that the problem with the hard drive cause can't copy the setupfiles to it. I did change the HD with a Brand new 80 GB . I didn't do any change in the BIOS to update the HD it detected by it self and same problem when I reach the level of copying file to HD it failed and computer shut down.

I went to BIOS and try to rest default may be that will help but since then I get now even worset cause I could tell tha the BIOS is corrupted cause when you power on your computer it can't read the correct memory size not only that it can't even start to boot from the CD - so if the BIOS is corrupted is their is any way that I can load it again from Scratch ? I mean to load a fresh version ? If yes how to do that?

Any other idea what could be the problem ? I don't want to send it to tech to fix it as I would like to keep trying till I fix the problem but I need some help

Thank you in advance for your help

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Was the machine running when it was dropped? If not, it's probably not a hard drive problem. Typically drives will park and they can withstand a few hundred G's. However, if it's running, a hard thump could be enough to destroy the drive.

Have you checked the RAM? That it's seated correctly?

ghost1412

It was up and ruuning when it was drop down on the ground so as you said a simple move could have damage it - so how do i check the memory ? just replace it ? I think their is a memory problem cause when the computer boot it can't read the 512 MB any more it give me message that it can only read 256
what about the issue of the BIOS that I can't even go and see the softwear their , any way that I can flsh the BIOS again ?