• HP

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • DELL

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • GATEWAY

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

Diego

Im Looking To Get A New Computer.i Need Advice On Getting A Compaq Or Dell.what Are The Advantages And Disadvantages For Each Brand.im Getting One In The 350-450$ Area.please Help Thanks.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Well HP owns Compaq. Realistically though for $350-450, they are all about the same.

SlothX311

My girlfriend has the HP DV4000, its ok.....I have the Presario V2000 and it runs games a little better....my vote goes to Compaq, even though HP and Compaq are the same company. :p

Pride

I've had all of them, with the exception of a Gateway. My vote goes for Dell, though.

The Deceived

Personally, I would advise you to go with HP purely down to their customer service support. Dell doesn't have the best in the world, and they tend to build computers so you cannot upgrade in the future.

But as Praetor said, for that price range, they're all about the same.

I've had a HP Pavilion PC for two and a half years now, and nothing has ever gone wrong with it. I've managed to upgrade a few things aswell. So for the more future-proof omputer, go with HP :)

Last edited:

skidude

Ever try upgarding it?? (not like a videocard, but replace a PSU or a mobo on it, cuz then you won't say it works like a dream)

bigsaucybob

i have had one dell for 2 years still works like magic and i have my own dell for about 6 months and i love it, I have upgrded the memory, psu and videocard without problems so dont say u cant upgrade dells.

TheNomad

first of all, i would strongly reccommend you build your own
you save money, you get to choose the parts, and you learn something about computers

if that isn't an option, then you should buy a prebuilt

Compaq: Pretty cheap for prebuilt, but isn't the most reliable (if i hear things right)
HP: Good comps, haven't heard anything bad
Dell: Good comps, bad tech support, hardER upgradability
Gateway: dunno

i would also look at cyberpowersystems.com and ibuypower.com, but i have heard of people who get damaged comps from those sources

and btw you aren't going to get a gaming comp for $350-$450 if thats your intention

skidude

bigsaucybob said:
I have upgrded the memory, psu and videocard without problems so dont say u cant upgrade dells.

I've upgraded the mobo and PSU in my dell and have had extreme problems, the mobo would fit in the cheap case right, the PSU wouldn't fit in, had to saw off part of the case..... Dell sucks.

TheNomad said:
i would also look at cyberpowersystems.com and ibuypower.com, but i have heard of people who get damaged comps from those sources

I've bought from ibuypower and had no problems, and damage usually occurs in shipping, if it is DOA then that is the company's fault, but if it is damaged it is usually during shipping.

bigsaucybob

i have never had a problem with dell, if u call dell, it sucks. I have never called dell for support. I use the online chat support where i have never waited more than 3 minutes for a person to help me. And they are usually very helpful and answer all my ?'s. I have upgraded and had no problems and the reason i ended up buying from dell is because u save major money on monitors. I ended paying around 200 dollars for my 19 inch monitor which would have costed me a lot more if i had built my own.

Johnnyboy0056

i had all 4 of these computers and worked on all of these computers.....the hp lasted 7 yrs......very durable.....the gateway is ok, pretty easy to upgrade stuff on it. compaq is a hp, and at 450 dollars, not much of a difference. the dell is great but can be testy at times....and the only computer i had to replace parts on b/c they failed. but the warranty saved me about 500 dollars so my overall vote would be hp. i feel like that 450 dollars will go a loooong way. By the way, talk to PRAETOR, hes got some excellent advice.

Archangel

VIP Member
i have a HP at home (we'll.. my dad has one :p . ) however.. its a very durable one,.. the case has a good quality, and weve never had any problems with that pc.
thats why i voted hp :)

lokodezine

I hear everyone syaing Dell is hard to upgrade with a mobo and psu (anything else)?

I just ordered the X GEN 5 systems, are those hard to upgrade too?

I looked at hp and you can get a pretty good pc from them so Im wondering if I should cancel my dell order before its to late and switch now to hp (The only thing with hp is that I really want a TV Tuner with mine and the best graphics card you can get with hp with TV TUNER/Windows media OS sytem is the GEFORCE 6600, but if you just get home or pro os and no tv tuner you can get a 6800 ULTRA.)

I would stick with my dell but what if I want to upgrade int he future... so any opinions please