compression software?

wolfeking

banned
Is there a software (preferably freeware) that will compress a file faster than it take the windows feature of send to Compressed folder to work?
Geez, Im running 4 threads at 2,53GHz and 5GB (1 4gb and 1 1GB 1333MHZ Ram) and its taken 2 hours to do 25% of the compression using windows 7 compressed folder.

What I need is to compress videos and some other read only files to save space on my limited size Flash key during transfer. (i got 3.8 GB to transfer on a 3.25GB free space flash drive).

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Binary files traditionally compress like crap. They take a long time and don't get much smaller (sometimes they get bigger as they are often already compressed).

tremmor

compressing video?
Waste of time. Ratio will be slight and a waste of time.
they do not compress. burn on dual layer if needed. dvd is good for most.

wolfeking

banned
are videos binary?
and I only got 200Kb compression under teh windows compression. Way short of what I need.

wolfeking

banned
compressing video?
Waste of time. Ratio will be slight and a waste of time.
they do not compress. burn on dual layer if needed. dvd is good for most.
If i save my videos to a dvd, will I be able to put them back After I reinstall windows? or will they be stuck as a MPEG on the DVD?

thesam101

are videos binary?
and I only got 200Kb compression under teh windows compression. Way short of what I need.

Unless you have recorded raw footage, the video file types are normally heavily compressed anyway.

With any program you would most likely get the same result as compressing Mp3s and the like, basically no compression at all.

If quality isnt a huge issue, depending on what format you have, could convert your video to a more compressed format, may work. AVI is one of the most compressed I think.

As for saving to a DVD, if you save them as their current compressed file types and don't convert them to DVD format before burning, then yes, you should be able to just copy them back off afterwards.

tremmor

What ever you copy that is what it is. Ive done them all at one time.
What kind of files are they?
whats the extention? Should not be a problem.

wolfeking

banned
Unless you have recorded raw footage, the video file types are normally heavily compressed anyway.

With any program you would most likely get the same result as compressing Mp3s and the like, basically no compression at all.

If quality isnt a huge issue, depending on what format you have, could convert your video to a more compressed format, may work. AVI is one of the most compressed I think.

As for saving to a DVD, if you save them as their current compressed file types and don't convert them to DVD format before burning, then yes, you should be able to just copy them back off afterwards.
Most of it is video files from our concerts, and recordings for my graduation project. I think they are MPEG when they are recorded on the camera. Some may be AVI.

tremmor

No problem. Guessing no copy protection scheme. won't be an issue.

if it is then thats different.

wolfeking

banned
I didnt put and copy protection on them. I guessing that the camera dont either. So, it shouldnt have an issue once I save them to reput them on the HDD. Thanks.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
I will say 7-zip. However, like everyone else has said, compressing video is mostly useless since even in the very unlikely case that it's not already in a compressed form the resulting size savings will be rather small.