Computer boots but no power to monitor, mouse and keyboard

mortix

As of exactly a week ago, I bought a brand new HDD and reinstalled everything from zero. I used the back-up disks to go back to factory settings. This morning my mother turned on the computer and what she said is that the computer started normally up to the log in screen, only that there were no users, but a message saying that there is something that needs to be installed, and that the PC will restart automatically. When I woke up, the PC was turned off. When I tried to turn it on, the lights would go on as usual. All fans work properly, only that the monitor says "No signal", and the mouse and keyboard have no power. I tried taking out the RAM, and yes, there is the beep from the motherboard. I tried changing the monitor, same result.
I have an HP Pavilion Elite HPE-410f, if that helps.

mortix

In the meantime, before the PC wouldnt boot, I connected a bad HDD from a friend to see if we could save his files, but the PC could not boot, after I connected his (together with my HDD with the operational system). and i didnt try booting up the pc since, so this is like a prelude to what happened to my mother.

mortix

Try resetting the BIOS and see if it can rediscover the HDD. Does the HDD show up in BIOS?

I took the batery out, waited for 30 seconds, then put it back. (I think that resets the bios) but no change. I can't get to BIOS since the monitor won't show me anything.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
No, thats not really resetting the bios. This is what you need to do. Remove power from power supply, remove the cmos battery, press the power button on the case for 10 seconds then wait 5 minutes. Then reinsert battery and reconnect power and try booting up.

mortix

No, thats not really resetting the bios. This is what you need to do. Remove power from power supply, remove the cmos battery, press the power button on the case for 10 seconds then wait 5 minutes. Then reinsert battery and reconnect power and try booting up.

I did it that way too, still no change.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It seems connecting the damaged hard drive has causes some damage to yours. You can try switching out parts such as power supply. Try disconnecting the hard drive from your system(just remove power and data cable) and see if the system boots.

mortix

nope, still no luck, i do not think its any hard drive problem, since it will not even power up my mouse or keyboard, i guess it may be the psu?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It's either motherboard, power supply or processor. If you can change out power supply and processor and it still don't work then you know its the motherboard. If you don't have the ability to switch the processor, you may have to take it in to have it diagnosed.