Computer Buisness

Adam Warren

Hey everyone. For the summer im looking in to some new possibilitys. I recently came up with the idea that mabye i can start building computers and selling them (around town and internet). I was just wondoring if i can get some input on the idea. I am willing to start off with $1000.00. Has anyone ever tried this, if so has it been sucsefull? What am i getting in to? :). Thanks!

Adam Warren

L12-1024 :: Liteon / 16x8x16x DVD+RW / 16x4x16x DVD-RW / 4x DVD+RW / 48x24x48x CD-RW / Black OEM DVD Burner with Nero Software
$78.99

THD-2000BB :: Western Digital / 200GB / 7200 / 2MB / ATA-100 / EIDE / OEM / Hard Drive
$119.97

MBM-K8V-3000 :: Asus K8V SE Deluxe Socket 754 ATX Motherboard and AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Processor
$350.99

C460-9004 KIT :: Chaintech 7.1-Channel PCI Sound Card with Apogee Body Theater
$33.99

C13-2920 :: Corsair Value Select 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory
$128.99

P450-8531 :: XFX GeForce 6600 / 128MB DDR / PCI Express / VGA / DVI / TV Out / Video Card
$188.99

E456-2011 :: Enermax Black ATX Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side, 4-Channel Fan Controller and 350Watt Power Supply
$87.99

TC1-6000 BL :: 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive (Black)
$26.99

The Astroman

Well, I and a friend have had EXACTLY the same idea, but haven't speculated on the how much profit we would make. It is fun, gives you some experience too, like if your client wants watercooling, and you've never set up watercooling, its real good for your pc building skills. Well, I have the same question as Adam Warren, how much profit could you pull out of a 1-2 grand rig?

Geoff

VIP Member
Well, i was actually thinking of doing that, but selling them on ebay, now if you sell them on ebay, you want to make it good but also make it as cheap as possible (integrated video or cheap video card, no os, etc) I need to start saving some money, and i actually figures out that i could make a few hundred dollars in profit :D

Adam Warren

geoff5093 said:
And why would you pay $26 for a floppy drive? You can get one at newegg for $5 or so.

Cause i live in canada so newegg meansnothing to me haha. If alot of people on this forum are going to be getting in to it, mabye it would be a good idea to start our own ebay store... or even website. cause once we all start, we will only have one pc... but if we have 5-6 people, then there is more selection, and would make us look better :D. Anyways, any idea on what someone would buy that pc for i listed up above.... How much would you buy it for?

p4r4s1t3

Adam Warren said:
Cause i live in canada so newegg meansnothing to me haha.

So if people pay $26 for FDD's in Canada and you now know people who can supply them for $5 each, that means you can make $21 profit per FDD ;)

Adam Warren

p4r4s1t3 said:
So if people pay $26 for FDD's in Canada and you now know people who can supply them for $5 each, that means you can make $21 profit per FDD ;)

:p. haha. copuld i possibly get all my components through the company wholesale?

Smurf-you

banned
If i were you i wouldn't bother, people like buying from big companys that they can trust reasons;

They know what there getting
They get help when they need it
word of mouth
And all in all prices are normally good.

If you want to earn some extra bucks this summer, either get a job or set a site up, Or do marketing or what not depends on what your skills are.

Then again do what you want.

The statement above is for the average person

apj101

VIP Member
If i were you i wouldn't bother, people like buying from big companys that they can trust reasons

Check out ebay, there are literally thousands of tiny suppliers selling custom builds. I agree that statement used to be true - but ebay has opened the market to the little guy.

In fact you may have the exact opposite problem, to much competition may sap your margin.

hey adam if you thinkin about building computers and selling them you would probley need alot more money then 1000 to even get started i mean yea you can build a pc like under 600 dollars if you got the right hook ups because i am getting ready to open my own computer shop and its going to take a alot of money to start it. so if you want more information contact me because i can hook u up. Thanks Tim

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
MidwestComputerCenter said:
hey adam if you thinkin about building computers and selling them you would probley need alot more money then 1000 to even get started i mean yea you can build a pc like under 600 dollars if you got the right hook ups because i am getting ready to open my own computer shop and its going to take a alot of money to start it. so if you want more information contact me because i can hook u up. Thanks Tim
i dont think he wants to open up a shop, just make 1 computer, sell it and make a profit