computer cannot see server help!!

brentduo

I have a network with four computers and a server at my office, One of them is my bosses laptop, I cannot see any shared files on the server via the laptop, but I can see shared files on the other three computers just not the server.

The other computers see the shared files properly. I have been trying for the past three hours to get it to see the server but it won't. Workgroup name is the same. Any help would be appreciated.

brentduo

Also, the laptop DOES identify the server when I goto "view workgroup computers". So it sees the server, but will not see the shared files even though all the other computers on the network can.

davidireland

Also, the laptop DOES identify the server when I goto "view workgroup computers". So it sees the server, but will not see the shared files even though all the other computers on the network can.

Not entirely sure about this one....could be several things.

Sounds like a security setting on the server to me. Are the other computers in the network actual PC's...as in...is your bosses laptop not actually a part of the actual office network but he is just hooking it up and hoping it functions like the other PC's? What kind of router is being used? A real router or a home router?

If there is a network administrator working in the office there could be some MAC filtering or something like that he or she set up. I would check with whoever owns the server about this.

Sorry if this doesnt help