Computer freezes up with message

EINREB

I have a problem that occurs very frequently, sometimes every few minutes. The computer freezes up and displays the blue screen as in the picture. It can occur when I am clicking around doing almost anything, locally or on a Website. The only recourse I have then is to reload the computer with the Restore command to a previous version, and then it will not happen for a while. But once it happens once, it will start to happen frequently.
I am running XP Pro on a MSI GM880-P51 Mo-Bo, and I have send the picture to MSI a few weeks back with an complaint describing the problem, but have not yet heard from them.
I have no plug-in boards, so I assume that the problem is with the programming of a chip on the Mo-Bo, but I do not know which one is the culprit.
Any comments anyone? Has anyone run into a similar problem?

Last edited by a moderator:

Viision

Your computer is doing what we call a BSOD Blue screen of Death. What you need to do is download a program called BlueScreenView, run it and paste the information.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry for the late reply. This error is easy, its caused by your video driver. Update your video driver and see if that fixes it. Are you using onboard video or a dedicated card? If your using the onboard video, it must be the hd4250?

I've came across this a lot. It has to deal with XP drivers for that specific onboard video. I'm not sure if the latest drivers have fixed this issue or not. You may be forced to get a dedicated card.

EINREB

Thanks fellows for your replies.
Indeed my video is a HD4250, and you might be right, johnb35, it might be doing it only in XP. I have a dual boot system, and when I run 7, I have not run into this problem as yet. (Knock on wood!)
I could not find an up-to-date driver on MSI's website, the original came from the CD that came with the MoBo. I installed it in XP using the Windows Auto Installer.
You might be also right in that I might have to use an external Video card when running XP.
If so, can you think of one that I can use for both, XP and 7 that is reasonable? It would be for general use, I do not play games, but do edit home movies.
I would appreciate any suggestions.

EINREB

Thanks johnb35 - Downloaded recommended file. So far so good, no freeze ups yet. Hope this cures the problem. Keep my fingers crossed.