Computer freezing up

Keisuke2k4

After leaving my computer on for a hour or less, the comp just suddenly freezes up, the mouse, keyboard, everything, and i have to restart the comp.
Is there way to fix this?

NeuromancerWGDD'U

Sounds like it could be either a heat issue or a voltage problem (or even just the OS). Try downloading a program called SpeedFan and checking the temperatures and voltages of your computer.

With the voltages what you're looking for is any major deviation from what it's supposed to be. For instance, if your +5v is reading at 3.5v, you have a problem. If it's at 4.89 volts, you're fine, but the ideal reading would be an exact match (5v).

SpeedFan doesn't tell you which temperature sensor is which (and you actually might not even have a CPU temp. sensor if your computer's antiquated), so it might be a bit confusing at first. If anything's hanging out at a high temperature (65/70 degrees C) right before it shuts down, it's probably an overheat issue (barring the video card, which will usually run pretty hot at all times (60/70 degrees if anything shiny's been running)).

Alternatively, after your computer shuts down you could go into the BIOS and check to see if your CPU is overheating then.

Last edited:

Keisuke2k4

Um... on the speed fan thing, my +5v is at 5.00v,
what does it mean by temp1, temp 2, temp3?
my temp 1 is at -55C
temp 2 is at -2C
temp 3 is at 41C??