Computer freezing

masterigor

ok i have a computer and like after 30 minutes to an hour it freezes up. By freezes i mean the screen freezes and the picture is the same, the mouse doesn't work and the keyboard doesn't either because when you press caps lock or scroll lock the buttons don't light up and they normaly do the only thing that works is the cd trays, when you press the button they open but when you put a disc in and close it, the computer doesn't seem to be reading it. My specs are: Raedon 9200, 1.72(speed), 60 Gigs space, 256 Ram.

Well i have noticed that when i play m computer in the winter it barley freezes but in the summer it does alot. Could this be the temperture? If so then why doesn't my brother's computer freeze up like mine? And what can i do to prevent it if it is the tempurture

OS Dragon

Well i have noticed that when i play m computer in the winter it barley freezes but in the summer it does alot. Could this be the temperture?
Well, there you go. You have answered your own question. It definately seems to be the temperature by the description your giving us.

Solution: Theres are a few things you can do, most are modifications. Replace the ram and the cpu if you can afford it and by 'Replace', I mean get more ram and get a better cpu. I think for now you should concentrate on the ram because your graphics card could be using too much of the ram.

If so then why doesn't my brother's computer freeze up like mine?
He could have different components to yours ;)

masterigor

SO if i get more ram that should fix the problem? And how do i check the temperture my computer is suitable for?

masterigor

like how do i know if it's too hot is 72 degrees too hot? cause thats what my house is normaly 72 to 74 and why would it over heat when all i do is type reports using wordpad(i don't have mircosoftword).

OS Dragon

ah...I would believe that 72 degrees is too hot, for a computer anyway + add the internal heat generated by the computer. Download the following software and install it (its free). It will tell you how hot it is in your computer per se
http://www.download.com/SpeedFan

masterigor

ok it says temp1: 29c
temp2: 36c
temp3: 68c (i think thats too hot because thats what it says)
temp4:40c

is that good?(i'm not sure whats good and whats not

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
have a look inside your computer and have a look at the CPU's heatsink, if its clogged with dirt you'll need to clean it out.... i use a vacuum cleaner when i do it but be very careful.
if its clear i would think that you need to remove the heatsink, clean the old thermal compound off and reseat the heatsink with new compound applied

masterigor

Yea i'll ask my dad's friend to take it apart for me then so i can clean it. (I don't know much about the Hardware of a computer).

And thanks for the help everyone!

meanman

you can also try replacing the cpu heat sync and fan for a better one beware this might invalidate the cpu warrenty or you could try standing a desk fan next to the pc i know it sounds silly but it will make a differance anyway worth trying

Curt

Hairy_Lee said:
have a look inside your computer and have a look at the CPU's heatsink, if its clogged with dirt you'll need to clean it out.... i use a vacuum cleaner when i do it but be very careful.
if its clear i would think that you need to remove the heatsink, clean the old thermal compound off and reseat the heatsink with new compound applied

You should never use a vacuum to clean a computer as it creates static electricity that will ruin your hardware. If that is your personal practice, do so at your own risk. But you probably shouldn't encourage others to do so.
Either buy a can of compressed air or if you have a small air compressor you can use that to blow the air out.
I wouldn't even advise using a vacuum on a reverse setting. Just buy a couple cans of air, they really come in handy. :D

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
my specs are: raedon 9200, 1.72(speed), 60 gigs space, 256 RAM.
what are the rest of the specs? QUESTIONS 101.

could this be the temperture
well what temps are you getting? use something like Motherboard Monitor 5 or SpeedFan to track.

temp3: 68c (i think thats too hot because thats what it says)
Thats too hot.

Temp1 also ranges from -105 to 84c
Sounds like the thermal probe thingy isnt exactly reliable.

You should never use a vacuum to clean a computer as it creates static electricity that will ruin your hardware.
Uh ...a better reason would be that a vaccuum reason doesnt exactly help with computer dust which generally requires a wet cloth or compressed air to remove ... static electricity isnt much of an issue.