Computer is slow, guessing needs memory?

EWC88

Hey everyone, so I use to always use a desktop as my man computer. Well it started to get extremely slow and its pretty old that I upgraded to my Asus laptop. Well I've been wanting another computer so I could hold all my music on so I wouldn't get my laptop messed up. Well I have a spare Gateway computer that the motherboard just crapped out. So I was thinking about taking the memory from this computer and putting it into my other desktop. Is there any problems doing that?

At first I was going take the HD from the Gateway and put it into the HP we have laying around but the HD is only 20GB so I figure that was pointless.

skattle91

No there won't be any problems by
spacer.gif
adding the memory.

linkin

VIP Member
if the speed is lower it will downclock all your RAM to the lowest speed... generally the effect is negated because you are adding more memory anyway.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
On a side-note, did you just assume you needed more memory? Have you tried doing a Disc Cleanup then Defragmenting a few times? Depending on how much stuff is on the Drive in question, you might see a noticeable increase in performance just by doing those two tasks.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Well I have a spare Gateway computer that the motherboard just crapped out. So I was thinking about taking the memory from this computer and putting it into my other desktop. Is there any problems doing that?

The only way we would know is if, we knew what ( Gateway) it was and what model the (other computer) is.

saba.jamalian

but the HD is only 20GB so I figure that was pointless.

The compatibility of the hard drive with a motherboard doesn`t have any connection to its size. Your motherboard must support the port of the hard drive. It may be SATA or IDE.

newguy

The compatibility of the hard drive with a motherboard doesn`t have any connection to its size. Your motherboard must support the port of the hard drive. It may be SATA or IDE.

The only way we would know is if, we knew what ( Gateway) it was and what model the (other computer) is.

his sig says that his rig is as listed below, but we still need the mobo specs from the gateway, and he said the 20gb hdd is a waste of time because, again if the rig listed below is acurate, he alread has a 250gb hdd

Asus M50Vm-X1
Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 2.26GHz
15.4" WXGA
NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GS
HDD 250GB/ Memory 4GB
Windows Vista Home Premium

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
but the HD is only 20GB so I figure that was pointless.

I think it's safe to assume that the OP meant 'why bother with a 20 Gig HDD these days'.

Edit: And if I read all the new posts, I would have seen newguy beat me to it.

EWC88

Sorry guys for not responding. Right now I am trying to figure out what I want to do for the desktop idea. I have 3 towers sitting here all with issues. Gateway computer's motherboard is shot, HP Pavilion a1600n needs new hard drive, and the custom computer is completely slow. Far as how old, HP is 4 years old, Gateway no idea, custom atleast 6 years old. What would you guys do?

EWC88

Heres the Gateway info just found it online:
Gateway Pentium Four (4) ACDT Uniprocessor
Model Number: ATXSTF ELP E3600 PC
Processor: Intel Pentium 4CPU 1.50 GHz
System Bus Speed: 400 MHz
Hard Drive: 20 GB Har Drive
Floppy Drive: 3.5" -1.44 MB
DVD-ROM: GD 8000
USB Slots 6 (2 in front & 4 on the back)-Generic USB Hub, Intel 82801 BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller 2442, USB Root Hub
RAM: 256 MB
Expansion Slots: 4(3-PCI and 1-AGP)
RAM Slots: 3
Mouse: Uses Standard PS/2 or Serial type Mouse ( Mouse and a keyboard are not included)
Sound Card: Onboard, Intel 82801 BA/BAM AC 97 Audio controller, Audio Codecs, Legacy Audio Driver, Legacy Video Capture Device, Media Control Device, Video Codecs
Network Adapter: Intel Pro/100 VE Network Connection
Serial Port: 1-9pin

Also heres other info:
Memory in Gateway is Samsung 128MB PC133 133MHz Sync CL3 168-Pin DIMM Memory Module Mfr P/N PC133U-333-542
And the other computers memory says DDR266 256M

The motherboard on the other computer is a Prescott 800 Dual Channel

linkin

VIP Member
256mb jesus! get it up to 1GB! pentium 4 means DDR, you might even want to get 2GB.

And another thing: reformat and reinstall windows on all your working computers, disable unneccesary processes and services. this will make them like new, and therefore faster

EWC88

The 256 mb of memory is in the Gateway, that computer's motherboard has died so I was mostly going take the memory from there and add it the other computer.

2048Megabytes

If you want to take RAM from the Gateway ATXSTF ELP E3600 and put it in the Hewlett Packard Pavilion A1600N it can't be done. The Gateway uses obsolete slow SDRAM and the Hewlett Packard uses DDR2 RAM. The RAM from the Gateway is incompatible with the Hewlett Packard.

The memory will work in your Hewlett Packard Pavilion:

SUPER TALENT 1 gigabyte 240-Pin DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop Memory - $24
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820609085

EWC88

To be honest I'm not quite sure on what games yet. The only one I know I am positive off is Counter Strike. I love that game, haven't played it in years but I was always addicted to that game. I am checking out what games they go out now though.

2048Megabytes

I do believe the Hewlett Packard Pavilion A1600N has the following specifications:

Processor: Athlon 3800+ Dual-Core (2.0 gigahertz)
RAM: 1 gigabyte of PC2-4200

That system should be good enough to run Counter Strike. Give me a list of other video games you are interested in when you can.

EWC88

Well finally got sometime to look at other games, been so busy with work and school.

I was just looking at bestbuy's site and came up with a couple that caught my eye that I wouldn't mind trying. They are: Crysis, Left 4 Dead (1 or 2), Call of Juarez, Pure, Blur, and a flight simulator.

2048Megabytes

I don't have much time to post currently but I know off the top of my head Crysis is going to require a better system than that. I will post more later.