Computer not booting when off for several hours?

GabryHyrule

Hi everyone, first post here, so I'm not too too sure if this is the best forum.

I have a problem with a 7months old desktop computer. I'll first admit that I have not cleaned it yet, due to work/school, but I plan to this weekend.

Anyways, since last week, whenever I turn on the power when I come home (i.e., the computer has been turned off for a long time), the fans start, but the BIOS doesn't seem to boot since I can't hear the usual POST beep, nor is there anything on the screen. I'll try turning it on maybe 4-5 times, unplugging some wires to see if they're at fault and trying again. After a few attempts, it boots. When I try to turn it on again after I used it, it starts flawlessly.
Now I've been reading on this, and it seems it might be a PSU charging issue? Problem is, the computer was going fine ever since I got it, but started doing this last week...

Oh, something that might be useful. My fans have always been kind of noisy, and when it boots normally, they start out slowly, then they get their normal speed when I hear the POST beep. Now, when it refuses to boot, the fans stay at their low setting.

Could anyone possibly confirm that this is a PSU problem so I can actually get a new psu at the shop, or post any ideas? Thanks!
Here are my specs:
motherboard: Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
PSU: Cooler Master 500w, "eXtreme power plus" RS500 PCAR A3
cpu: AMD Phenom 2 X4, 965
graphics card: Asus ENGTS450

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
2 things you can try doing.

1. Reset the cmos. Do this by unplugging power supply, remove the cmos battery from the motherboard, press the power button on the case a few times to discharge any remaining power, then wait 5 minutes. Then reinsert battery, reconnect power and try booting up.

2. Try a different power supply. Cooler masters tend to have problems.