computer not working please help!!!

tylerjrb

I finished my pc build today but my pc wont work. I turn it on and the cpu led and ram led flashes red then it goes off. It then reboots and does the same. It then reboots but stays running but there is no image on the screen. I have an asus p8z77-v pro board and 3770k cpu.

What can i do to? I feel terrible as the cpu was second hand and was sold as working :(. It also looks in almost new condition. Is it my cpu, ram motherboard what? Im going to cry soon but why does it run on the third attempt? But no picture comes up. Im scared and nearly crying lol.

Regards, tyler.b

tylerjrb

Need to mention i get no beeps etc and it has the mic plugged in. it boots twice and turns off then boots, no flashes and keeps powered all fans everything but no picture.

Cpu 3770k installed correctly second hand
Ram corsair vengeance ddr3 16gb second hand
Corsair h100i
Corsair tx750 psu
Kingston hyper x 120gb in sata 3 6gbs port
No gpu atm on integrated graphics
Asus p8z77-v pro board, new but with no manual

The ram i had to stick the heatsinks back on with arctic alumina paste. Only 2 of them though.

Please dont say its my cpu took some time getting it all built :(.

Please dont say its broken...

tylerjrb

Ive tried all ram sticks but it still flashes red on the ram and cpu boots on and off flashes first then.flashes and turns off. Then it does the same again. Then it flashes but stops and stays running but no picture etc. Please get back to me asap.

tylerjrb

I just read that if it flashes it may be a compatilibility issue with the bios and if its a solid red then its failed. It flashes red but stops flashing and then stays running but no picture. Im really unsure and unhappy and embarrased. Hopefully the bios is wrong or something and just needs updating :/. Or cmos.needs resetting and hopefully nothings broken. I get no beeps or anything like that, i really dont know what to do... But its me and i put money that its blown up for some mystical reason as everything always goes wrong...

tylerjrb

For more detail they both flash, then the cpu stops and the dram keeps flashing for a good few seconds then the cpu flashes once and the system powers off. Then it boots stays the same but leds stop flashing pc continues to run but no picture. If i press the mem ok button it flashes but then turns of again and repeats.

StrangleHold

Staff member
You put the standoffs under the board in all the right places, like not one where its not suppost to be?

tylerjrb

You put the standoffs under the board in all the right places, like not one where its not suppost to be?

all the stand offs are correctly installed (9 of them for 9 holes on the mobo) the pc powers on after a few attempts the dram and cpu led flashes once and the pc settles down, it then stays running but no picture on my monitor. could it be the psu? im going to check tomorrow ive already checked all of the ram. i just hope its not my mobo or cpu as they dont come cheap.

regards, tyler.b

tylerjrb

Got the 4/8 CPU power connector in? Have the PCIe power connectors to your video card?

it has both connectors correctly installed, and i dont have a graphics card yet im getting one next month so im currently using the integrated graphics, if i can get it to work correctly.

regards, tyler.b

tylerjrb

Have you got a case speaker or bios beeper hooked up to the speaker pins?

yes but i couldnt get any beeps out of it untill this morning. i dont know i didnt have the vga cable in but it made 2 beeps one short followed by a long beep kind of like bip beeep. im currently uploading a video and will link the video as luckily i captured it. it wouldnt make any more beeps after that time though.

you can then listen, it doesnt say anything in the mobo manual only that one short means no vga, quick boot set to disabled and no keyboard but i only had the power plugged in, theres nothing about what i heard in the manual :/.

i just turned it off at the rocker switch at the back of the psu and it tried restarting again with the power off lol but only went for a few seconds and switched off.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What I would do is build the pc outside of the case and see what happens. Put the motherboard on a piece of cardboard and start attaching hardware and cables and then try booting it up. If it works then you know you have a grounding issue between the case and motherboard. Make sure you are using the correct amount of standoffs and they are put in the correct places.

tylerjrb

What I would do is build the pc outside of the case and see what happens. Put the motherboard on a piece of cardboard and start attaching hardware and cables and then try booting it up. If it works then you know you have a grounding issue between the case and motherboard. Make sure you are using the correct amount of standoffs and they are put in the correct places.

i tried this but the system will still not boot up still remains the exact same as in the video :(. I also removed the cpu and noticed it had some thermal compound on some of the contacts. I cleaned that off with some alcohol and retried the system but again it still would not boot and was still the same.

I tried the cpu with no heatsink and it went warm after maybe 1-2 seconds so i turned straight off. I new it wouldnt damage as it wasnt entering the bios, booting etc so it wouldnt 0-400 degrees in 2 seconds. the cpu didnt overheat just went warm in a few seconds and i then switched it off, i could feel it warming up.

Does this mean the cpu works or is it dead as the motherboard is brand new and the cpu is a used item, id think the cpu would be the most probable cause. im going to see if someone can lend me a 1155 cpu to test my board on and as the seller wont take the cpu back then sell my cpu as not working (if the boards fine). I didnt pay a great deal for it also and would get the majority of my money back if i sold it as not working i suspect as someone may be able to fix it or use it for parts somehow.

i also have not tested the RAM.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure what to tell you at this point. Could have either mobo or cpu damage or both. Would need someone with replacement parts to help you determine that.

FixitmanArizona

Hard drive?

ANYthing at all on the monitor? Most of the older monitors would say "not connected" or some such if there was no connectivity to the computer. I'm not sure about the newest ones.
Do you have a hard drive installed and is it in the proper place on the cable? is the hard drive spinning (power to it?) Is the BIOS set to boot an OS from that drive?
Have you checked all connections to make sure they're correct? You could also have someone check for failed components. It could be the integrated graphics are blown and you'll have to get the video card connected (correctly) first. Stranger things have happened.
Simple questions, not meaning to call you dumb on it. Sometimes the simple things matter.
For a complete guide I just found this post on the forums here
http://www.computerforum.com/209946-tech-guide-diagnosing-pc-will-not-post-start.html

Last edited: