Computer randomly shuts off. (Not heat related)

Mez

Alright guys, back with another problem that I need help diagnosing.

So heres the low-down:

My computer will RANDOMLY shut off, doesn't matter if it's gaming, idling, whatever. BUT It doe NOT give me any error messages whatsoever, no BSODs either.

Now here's the wierd thing, the computer shuts off, but it turns itself back on within 3-5 seconds, pretty much like if you were changing settings in the BIOS and then Save & Exit, the computer shuts off and resets itself to allow the settings.

Now these are the two things im thinking of:
1. Powersupply is dying. It's a Corsair TX650w V1 (Not the new one on the market, the first generation).

2. My memory is messing up somehow.

This is all I can come up with. I also have reset my computer to stock bios settings, so there is currently no overclock.

Okedokey

Could be the motherboard, if it stops providing a 'good signal' to the PSU it will turn off.

Mez

But if it was giving a bad signal wouldn't it just stay off instead of rebooting itself?

bomberboysk

The fact this happens under low load and heavy load conditions would make me think that the power supply may not be the culprit...unless it's overheating for some reason (Fan stopped working, dust buildup, etc). Checking voltages using a DMM or some type of monitoring program isn't a bad idea though (I typically use HWmonitor if a DMM isn't available).

For memory, I'd suggest creating a bootable memtest disc and running it, see if any errors show up:
http://www.memtest.org/

The fact that your computer is restarting is most likely to do with the "After power failure" setting in the bios, as it's probably set to "restart".

Mez

The fact this happens under low load and heavy load conditions would make me think that the power supply may not be the culprit...unless it's overheating for some reason (Fan stopped working, dust buildup, etc). Checking voltages using a DMM or some type of monitoring program isn't a bad idea though (I typically use HWmonitor if a DMM isn't available).

For memory, I'd suggest creating a bootable memtest disc and running it, see if any errors show up:
http://www.memtest.org/

The fact that your computer is restarting is most likely to do with the "After power failure" setting in the bios, as it's probably set to "restart".

Alright, so what should I be looking for in HW Monitor and what could possibly be the problem?

Mez

Heres another question, the outlet im using in my house currently has 2 surge protectors running from it, both of them are filled with electronics (including my computer). I've noticed sometimes my desk light turns off by itself and turns back on. Could it be im trying to suck too much power out of the outlet which is causing my computer to shutdown?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Heres another question, the outlet im using in my house currently has 2 surge protectors running from it, both of them are filled with electronics (including my computer). I've noticed sometimes my desk light turns off by itself and turns back on. Could it be im trying to suck too much power out of the outlet which is causing my computer to shutdown?

I think you just figured out the cause of your issue. You may have a bad surge protector. If your lamp is shutting off then you found the issue. And it seems Bomberboysk is correct and a bios setting needs to be changed to not allow pc to power back on after power failure. Is your computer plugged into the same surge protector as the lamp? If so replace that protector. It's also possible that you are overloading that circuit with too many devices attached to it.

Mez

Well, I tried running memmtest86+ last night and everything was going good, but I fell asleep. When I awoke my computer was off. I tried turning it on but the computer is receiving no power whatsoever. I also tried reseatting the PSU connectors, powerbutton connectors, CMOS battery, unplugging the powersupply and nothing is working. So I am guessing it was the powersupply as I believe it died last night while I sleeping. I'll be getting a new one soon to see if it works.

Okedokey

RMA it. Corsair have fantastic RMA. Im still thinking your motherboard is gone. Can you use the 'paper clip' method to see if the power supply is actually dead?

Mez

I've tried two different motherboards with this powersupply, neither of them are powering up.

It's not a shorting problem with the case, I checked all the standoffs and such, everything is fine.

Not a faulty memory problem, I tried each stick and no sticks, computer still wouldn't turn on.

Tried the paperclip test on the power supply, it powers up and is able to power my hard drive and case fans and such.

It's also not a power switch problem with the case as I have tried shorting the start up pins, and still nothing.

What i'm left to believe is the power supply has voltage issues since it will start up without the motherboard attached.

Okedokey

Ok, well in that case, RMA it. Corsair are excellent. Email them and they will email you back with a postage paid slip.

Mez

Just updating this, I fixed the problem it was the power supply giving out. Started with the computer randomly turning off and then eventually it wouldn't shut on. I guess it stopped supply voltage to the 12v rails, but I popped in a brand new CX600M and it works perfectly.

Mez

No, I just threw it out, plus I think it's past its 5 year warranty since it was purchased in 2008