Computer submerged in a liquid

PohTayToez

From what I've heard fans are a bad idea as the added force needed to move a thick liquid as opposed to air makes them burn out very quickly.

Turbo10

it was done quite a while ago :p if i sift through my custompc magazines ill find what its called, but it was bloody expensive and was submerged in fluorient with a waterfall at the front!

claptonman

What would the point be of fans in it if it has the liquid to cool it? And I'd imagine it would have to be sealed tightly. Wouldn't wanted dirty liquid in there.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
What would the point be of fans in it if it has the liquid to cool it? And I'd imagine it would have to be sealed tightly. Wouldn't wanted dirty liquid in there.

The fan helps circulate the liquid inside. This way the entire tank would be equal temperature.

accessoriesguy

Super computers would love that. since they tend to use water cooling. But with this they can apply the liquid directly, which allows for much cooler temperatures.

This is not useful for the every day user, it would make repairs painful. Also you would need a better fan to really stir up the liquid to evenly disperse it. Whats worse is that you still need something to cool down the liquid. Some radiator. This is getting really big, wasteful and recover lots of energy. When regular computers are doing just fine xD

GREAT OVERKILL THOUGH!

Aastii

VIP Member
So long as the liquid is non-conductive and you do not submerge moving parts there is no issue.

It isn't so much the movement, it is how it works. Lasers will be refracted by the liquid, so optical drives won't work.

The needle on your hard drive won't be able to "float" on the cushion of air, and the platter will spin so slowly that the system would be at a crawl

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
LMAO I can't believe I am not the only one who has done this haha :D
I did this in 2008. rofl.First I have washed ALL my parts in the dishwasher since they were super dirty and I didn't want all that dirtiness to gather inside of the box filled with mineral oil and then I took a plastic box just like that guy on the video and I put all computer components in the box except the floppy,CD drive and HDD.Then I filled the box with mineral oil and I went away from the box while I was turning the power supply ON in the case if it blows up lol,but it didn't huh:D And when the system booted up I was like:"Holy moly it works!!" :D The bad thing is that the fan that was on my CPU cooler was crap so it wasn't spinning very well inside of the box filled with the mineral oil :/
Anyway I tryed to play Half-Life 2 and I must say that there WAS difference in speed lol.It actually worked faster on the places with lot of textures haha :D :D :D No more lag :D :D
Then I put the box in the fridge,set the temperature to little bit higher then medium and I waited for about 30 minutes.After that I turned on the computer and computer was working so fast lol.Hell I was playing Doom 3 on HIGH texture level and it worked so damn fast!!Of course the graphic quality wasn't PERFECT since my graphic card cannot produce so good graphics because I used my old Nvidia FX5200 of 64 MB VRAM,but who the hell cares about the PERFECT graphics when the game ran so damn faster with the SAME old components for the difference when all the components were in the standard case filled with nothing.Fu!!ck the standard case and standard fans lol.Mineral oil rules lol!!!Too bad my fan sucked lol...
I gotta do this again with the BIG fan muhahahaha! :D
Only I must buy mineral oil again lol...damn too bad it is still so expensive xD
Btw I never tryed to make bubbles inside like that guy did.I gotta try that too :p Not that I really need it,but it will look more cool then what I did last time :D
Oh yea btw here are the components I used in the mineral oil:

-motherboard ---> KT400-8235
-one single RAM chip ---> DDR1 of 512 MB of RAM
-graphic card ---> FX5200 of 64 MB VRAM (can't remember the mhz right now)
-processor ---> AMD Athlon XP 1700+ of 1.5 ghz
-small power supply (can't remember the name right now),but it's from 2002. year

And here are the components out of the mineral oil:

-very old CD drive made in 2001.
-Maxtor hard disk drive from 2002. of 30 GB in size
-floppy disk drive from 2003.

Tested operating systems:

-Windows 98 SE
-Windows ME
-Windows 2000 Proferssional
-Windows XP Professional and Media Center edition
-Windows Vista Ultimate only

I suggest everyone to try this out because it RULES,if of course you have a spare old hardware.I have tons of it lol.My room is like a warehouse xD...

By the way I am still using that SAME hardware which I used in the mineral oil in 2008.It's in parts lol and I have hooked it to my plasma TV via HDMI so I can play games AND watch movies.It looks like trash,but it works perfectly.Give me an hour and I will take a picture of it and show it to you :D Too bad I did not take a picture back in 2008. damn! :p

I still can't believe I am not the only one who did this.When I mentioned what I did in 2008. on the Croatian forum,they called me crazy liar haha =D

By the way I never tryed this with an SSD drive because it's so damn expensive! :mad:

Cheers everyone! =D